GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5HP30 (540i Auto Trans) Question...

Alrighty!

Well, to keep everyone up to date. Went ahead and did a proper 'Hard Reset' and left it unplugged overnight. Unfortunately, that didn't end up fixing anything so we're onto plan B.

Went ahead and removed the valve body and sent it to Kirt for a update/rebuild. It turns out that the valve body was updated during the Remanufacturing, only Kirt wasn't pleased with the test on the first Solenoid and went ahead and replaced them all. Anyway, Kirt seems to believe that was the smoking gun, I'll keep you fellows in the loop with if this finally fixes our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik540i
    Did the 'Hard Reset' today (Or, atleast I think we did). Had our trusted, local independent help us out and he explained that leaving it disconnected overnight was way overkill, and that only a few moments were needed to ground out to reset. So, we went about it this way and the results weren't what I'd hoped.

Things started out optimistic, as upshifts seemed to be quite a bit smoother than before. Even sliding it from D to R/etc. seem to be somewhat less dramatic, initially. Well, as things got warmer and I drove it a little longer the same symptoms started showing their ugly self again and, now it doesn't appear the Reset helped us out. I was going to give it a little while, and give it the chance to possibly 'learn.'

Anyway, at this point, I'd just like to confirm that you only need a few moments to properly perform the 'Hard Reset' and if that's true, if we should consider looking into the Valve Body update, which I'm not entirely sure this Reman Transmission had done to it....(Still trying to confirm it's a ZF Rebuild, and also if it even has the Valve Body update).

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by MTechnik540i; 10-25-2007 at 06:27 PM.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

I lost reverse in my 540iA M-Sport a few months ago and in looking into what the problem was and found that these trannies have 2 common problems.

First one is the retaining clip on the reverse clutch packs breaks off the housing, and then the reverse clutch pack is no longer held together causing complete loss of reverse. (what happened to mine)

The second common problem is related to the valve body. Specifically the check ball in one of the fluid passages. The check ball gets worn down over time and gets sucked past the point where it's supposed to stop. The symptoms of this problem sound most like what you're experiencing. So your problem will most likely be gone with the valve body rebuild.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966
    I lost reverse in my 540iA M-Sport a few months ago and in looking into what the problem was and found that these trannies have 2 common problems.

First one is the retaining clip on the reverse clutch packs breaks off the housing, and then the reverse clutch pack is no longer held together causing complete loss of reverse. (what happened to mine)
    Expensive fix?

Thanks for the insight. BTW, Another Cosmos Black M-Sport!
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Default Plan B goes south...

Alrighty!

Well, to keep everyone up to date. Went ahead and did a proper 'Hard Reset' and left it unplugged overnight. Unfortunately, that didn't end up fixing anything so we're onto plan B.

Went ahead and removed the valve body and sent it to Kirt for a update/rebuild. It turns out that the valve body was updated during the Remanufacturing, only Kirt wasn't pleased with the test on the first Solenoid and went ahead and replaced them all. Anyway, Kirt seems to believe that was the smoking gun, I'll keep you fellows in the loop with if this finally fixes our issues.
    Hey again folks,

Went to pick up the 540i today, and I must admit over a week and about $600-700 later, I was saying to myself 'this better fix this!.' Well, as normal, things start out promising, but just as always a few minutes into driving, when everything has reached temperature and the car is good and warm, the exact same issues start showing themselves again!

Needless to say, this is really frustrating. I suppose I'll be on the phone to Kirt again Monday, again, trying to figure out what's next.

So, if there's anything you guys can think of that I may want to check, please post away! I'm having to ask myself now, could this issue have nothing to do with the transmission at all.

TIA!
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Bump!
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

Expensive fix?

Thanks for the insight. BTW, Another Cosmos Black M-Sport!
    I got a used tranny out of another Cosmos M-Sport auto from someone a slight bit North of San Francisco as he was pulling his out to do a 6 speed swap.

Cost me $1,400 installed as I didn't feel like installing it myself. I've had enough fun with auto trannies before, and these 5HP30's are huge...

What color interior do you have in your M-Sport? Took me 2 1/2 years to find a black/black auto as I've only found evidence of 3 of them existing.

Hey again folks,

Went to pick up the 540i today, and I must admit over a week and about $600-700 later, I was saying to myself 'this better fix this!.' Well, as normal, things start out promising, but just as always a few minutes into driving, when everything has reached temperature and the car is good and warm, the exact same issues start showing themselves again!

Needless to say, this is really frustrating. I suppose I'll be on the phone to Kirt again Monday, again, trying to figure out what's next.

So, if there's anything you guys can think of that I may want to check, please post away! I'm having to ask myself now, could this issue have nothing to do with the transmission at all.

TIA!
    Did the valve body rebuild include new check balls? There's 2 of them that wear and cause problems like you're describing. Symptoms of check ball wear are the tranny not fully engaging reverse (will slowly back up on level surfaces), and also engaging both forward and reverse at the same time. It sounds like you've experienced the forward & reverse engaging problem.

When you loose the reverse clutch pack retaining clip you loose reverse imediately (like it popped out of gear) and it won't work at all.

Let me get this straight... you reinstalled the valve body and same issue came back? Then I'd say the seals in the tranny are gone... consult with Kirt again.

@ Tiger: Yes, same issues are still showing themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba966
    Did the valve body rebuild include new check balls? There's 2 of them that wear and cause problems like you're describing. Symptoms of check ball wear are the tranny not fully engaging reverse (will slowly back up on level surfaces), and also engaging both forward and reverse at the same time. It sounds like you've experienced the forward & reverse engaging problem.

When you loose the reverse clutch pack retaining clip you loose reverse imediately (like it popped out of gear) and it won't work at all.
    I'm going to ask about the Check Balls when I'm talking to Kirt tomorrow.

I'm assuming the Torque converter would be out of the question on these described problems? Up/Downshifts are still very smooth, almost unnoticeable.
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '91 M5

i'm very curious to find out what you learn... I have had a hard shift from second to third during moderate acceleration and warm tranny ever since I bought my car (2 years).

So far I have done:
    - hard reset
    - valve body replaced (Kirt)
    - complete remanufactured tranny replacement (Kirt)
    - transmission cooler replaced (Kirt)
    - valve body replaced... again (Kirt)
    - and have tested different ECUs, Transmission control modules, and MAF

Mucho $$$ later I haven't felt any change whatsoever, aaaah! Obviously its not the tranny, but what the problem is, I have no idea. I know my symptoms aren't the same as yours, but just a heads up... valve body isn't the answer to all 5HP30 questions, mine's been replaced three times! :/
    _

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast