GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any 535i owners running with a chip?

Default Any 535i owners running with a chip?

Had few problems with the car lately, most sorted now so i'll hopefully be looking shortly to get a chip for my baby!

I was just looking for some advice from people who have one in their 535i on what benefits/pro's you see, what costs/con's (i.e fuel economy, reliability?), and do you generally think its worth me shelling out for? I'm also looking to find out how easy/hard it is to fit yourself? I've researched this on bruno's site but personasl experience is second to none.

If you could include what chip your running, where you got it from and how much that would be great, thanks in advance.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Default Da Sylva chip here...

...other than the premium gas requirements I am very pleased with the extra power and pick up from the engine. Paid about $165.00 2 years ago and will not go back to stock!

Installation is cake. You take out the black cover on the passenger (driver's for you if your car is RHD) side next to the windshield, pull out the ECU, disconnect it, open the case, take out the chip and just reverse the process to put it all back in. It shouldn't take longer than half an hour.

Very easy to install and a noticeable difference in power. Just make sure not to buy a chip from a no-name ebayer like I did first time around. If you buy from a well known company like Bav Auto or Da Sylva then you will be pleased.

I love my mark d. chip. Defenitly more power, but for me its the economy. I don't know if my car was having issues before chip, but now I get 22-24 mpg on interstate vs. 19 with my stock chip.. I love it man, worth the $$$ (even the old lady admitted it )

-Pat

EAT chip. Around $200.00.
    More responsive than standard but requires premium fuel.
    Most will drive it for the performance boost so any theoretical economy gains won't be achieved.
    In fact you maybe tempted to put the foot down even more than usual so your fuel bill will be even more expensive.
    Bottom line is don't consider it for better economy... in fact don't consider a 535 period if your concern is economy!
    In fact even a 540 is more economical the a 535i!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

you could also check out Turner Motorsports
    -Mike

get a mark D chip i know a ton of people with them and there will be no disappointments, i was one of the hot weather testers for the 535 chip and with a automatic i got about a 1 second 0-60 improvement over a 3 run back to back with the stock computer in mid-upper 90s, and gained about 1 mpg which is a good offset for running super, i have a mark D chip on my e34 535 motored/computered 81 633 but don't have a functioning speedo/odo yet so i wasn't able to witness the mpg before and after, but it defintly has more ass when stomping on it, as long as i have bosch computered bmws ill have a mark D chip in it

ps the mark D chip i replaced the dinan chip in my e30 with was better, smoother
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Had few problems with the car lately, most sorted now so i'll hopefully be looking shortly to get a chip for my baby!

I was just looking for some advice from people who have one in their 535i on what benefits/pro's you see, what costs/con's (i.e fuel economy, reliability?), and do you generally think its worth me shelling out for? I'm also looking to find out how easy/hard it is to fit yourself? I've researched this on bruno's site but personasl experience is second to none.

If you could include what chip your running, where you got it from and how much that would be great, thanks in advance.
    I'd go the whole-hog and get a MAF kit from Miller performance third time around. IAfter trying several chips or over a thousand km each, I can say that Mark D'Sylva's EAT chip is the best - it is really good - BUT the MAF kit makes it the result much better:

With any M30 of this age, the AFM is usally starting to go or will need to be replaced at some point soon, so if you are keeping the car or don't know if your AFM is wearing out, the math is quite simple- why spend more on a chip and a new AFM when you can so easily install a MAF for less? Do it once, do it right and save fuel too. I have one of the first Miller MAFs and love it- I simply can't reccommend it enough. Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 10-13-2007 at 01:41 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Hey guys thanks for the input so far, keep it coming...

Genphreak... I don't know much at all about the AFM (air flow meter?) and MAF (Mass air flow?) business, i'm assuming i have an AFM. I've been worried about it recently as it happens as i have heard it rattling - it is quite noticible with the bonnet open, and if i really listen i can hear it with the bonnet down. Does this mean its on its way out? How much am i looking at to replace the AFM in comparison to changing it for a MAF? Also, what are the benefits and do they outway the costs? And is it a direct replacement, could i do it myself? Is there anyhwhere i can get mor information on this? Thanks! (Too many questions! )
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast