GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield washer tank leaking - can't figure out from where

Default Windshield washer tank leaking - can't figure out from where

My windshield washer tank won't hold fluid for very long anymore ever since some yahoo at a garage filled the reservoir with a hose instead of pouring in fluid from a jug. Aany idea where I ahould be looking for leaks? I have taken it out and tried to see where it leaks from, but no dice. Is there any way to plug the system that goes to the headlights so that i just have washer fluid spraying on my windshield?

Method of filling and fluid that was put in there doesn't matter ... unless we're talking hydrochloric acid ... that could probably eat through it.

Take it out again, fill it and stand it up in the same position like it sits in the car and see where it's leaking out of?

i did that, couldn't see where it was leaking from. it might be leaking from somewhere in the labyrinth that goes to the headlight washers - it would be great to know the best way to block those off.

i was worried the pressure from the nozzle dislodged an o ring on the inside of the tank or something, because it was immediately after that filling that it started to leak. by the end of the next day it was empty.

I replaced the washer pump/motor and that fixed my leak. it was leaking somehow i never saw exactly but i replaced it and the leaking ceased. Where it fits into the tank apprently developed a crack where the hose fit on i guess maybe. Got the pump used from Euro Depot for about $10... mabe gale has one from what he's parting out.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

i replaced my pump too last year because it was leaking from there when i bought it - i don't think it would have sprung a leak from that spot again in such a short time.

I bet it's the tee behind the right fog light. Sadly you have to remove the bumper cover to fix it. If you have the double washers that do the fogs first, and then the headlights, that plumbing behind the bumper cover is where mine failed. Remember the big tank feeds the little tank, and if the Tee is leaking it all goes out. Is the puddle forward right, or just under the big tank?

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Check the grommet where the pump goes in.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    I bet it's the tee behind the right fog light. Sadly you have to remove the bumper cover to fix it. If you have the double washers that do the fogs first, and then the headlights, that plumbing behind the bumper cover is where mine failed. Remember the big tank feeds the little tank, and if the Tee is leaking it all goes out. Is the puddle forward right, or just under the big tank?

the puddle is usually forward right - but during the winter it used to leak constantly out of the left headlight washer, which was super annoying. I am really considering just blocking off the entire headlight washing system. Can I just plug where it feeds the T?

I will check the grommet too, thanks Ross.

TC535i Guest

Sometimes the pumps themselves leak internally. You might just need a new pump.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring

ok, i've isolated the leak - it's the part under the bumper, near the fog light, where 2 black tubes connect to what looks like some kind of white switch. Is this the Tee you are referring to? It looks like, at first glance, that it is leaking from one of the black tubes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast