GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Cable Gromets

Default Throttle Cable Gromets

I noticed my throttle sticking this morning and thought it would be a good idea to check it out. I found that on the bracket that the throttle cables run through the rubber or plastic gromet that keeps the cable tensioner in place is broken allowing the assemble to move backwards out of its hole and catch on the bracket causing it to stick, not good at all. I took a look through realoem and couldn't find the part I am looking for, hopefully it is replaceable. Any ideas?

Since my description is pretty hard to understand, here are a couple of pictures:

Looks like it is part of 14.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah it does, but looking closer to part 16 it looks like just the part where you can adjust the tension on the cable, doesnt look like what I am looking for is there.

I went out and tested a little more and it doesnt come out all of the time, but it will only take once to have what happened in my last thread. We'll see, when I am out tomorrow I'll stop by the foreign part store and see if they can't help me find what I am looking for, though I am still open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_004
    Looks like it is part of 14.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff
    Yeah it does, but looking closer to part 16 it looks like just the part where you can adjust the tension on the cable, doesnt look like what I am looking for is there.
    Thanks
    Bracket looks like the one at the back of the head that just supports the cable. If the two grommets are the same perhaps you could swap them? Safer to be without your cruise for a couple of days rather than risk the throttle sticking open?

The grommet is part of the cable itself. You will need to buy a whole cable.

Don't bother trying to swap the one off your cruise because the grommet goes hard and brittle and will break if you try to remove it from the metal bracket.

I was afraid of this. I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass it is run a new cable.

Thanks for the info, time to look up running a new cable

Quote Originally Posted by myles

Don't bother trying to swap the one off your cruise because the grommet goes hard and brittle and will break if you try to remove it from the metal bracket.

I'd be thinking hard about an alternative to threading a new throttle cable. No way I'd be heading down that dirty road for such a seamingly small issue.

Ideas that spring to mind at the moment:

1) Assuming its just pressure fit inside the gromet, find a suitable rubber gromet (may require some 'customization'), carving a slit in it to allow placement over the cable and finaly squeezing that sucker in the bracket. You'll also need to carve a depression around the circumfrence to allow it to seat properly.

2) Just wire the bugger down to the bracket..........in a nice, civilized manner

Good luck it, I'm sure other ideas will follow.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave M; 10-09-2007 at 05:08 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by myles

Just out of interest I tried to remove mine and can do it easily. I'd be popping down the scrapyard to pick a couple. Probably take the bracket too for good measure and expect to pay at least £1. Bit cheaper and easier to fit than a new cable

I actually opted for your number 2 option before I even came back here to see any of your suggestions. Used a couple of pieces of copper wire and wrapped them tight around the bracket and the cable, lets just say it isnt going anywhere now.

I have read that it isnt too hard of a task to replace the accelerator cable but after looking at the ACS and Cruise cable, those will be a ton of work. Unfortunately, my cables need to be replaced anyway. They are stretched and the shielding is cracked etc. For now the problem is fixed, I'll just have to see if I can get a good deal on the cables. Thanks to everyone for your advice. Tomorrow I'll post a picture of my handy work, already closed up shop for the night.

-Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    I'd be thinking hard about an alternative to threading a new throttle cable. No way I'd be heading down that dirty road for such a seamingly small issue.

Ideas that spring to mind at the moment:

1) Assuming its just pressure fit inside the gromet, find a suitable rubber gromet (may require some 'customization'), carving a slit in it to allow placement over the cable and finaly squeezing that sucker in the bracket. You'll also need to carve a depression around the circumfrence to allow it to seat properly.

2) Just wire the bugger down to the bracket..........in a nice, civilized manner

Good luck it, I'm sure other ideas will follow.

Dave

Default Nothing a little wire won't fix

Here's a shot of my handy work. It'll work till I decide what I want to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast