GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which is easier to maintenance M5 3.6 or 3.8 ???

Quote Originally Posted by NovceGuru
    I thought the s54 had like 300 or something hp?

333hp at the crank. the dyno measures hp at the wheels.

Brandon! Please stop with the teasing! I'm about to run out for a quick S38 flogging trip!

I love all BMWs, and all things BMW (even the downfalls), but NOTHING compares to the feeling I get every time I drive the M5. Whether I'm babying it around getting stares from the locals, or driving the tar out of it, I just can't seem to wipe the smile off my face.

This is something no other "newer, better, faster" BMW has been able to do for me.

S38 I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    I am glad you brought that up. '92 and later 3.6s came with a taller 3.73 gearing. As far as the EDC, if they go, there are other alternatives for fixing them. There are even cheap reports of taking the shocks to trucking shops that know how to rebuild hydraulics.

After doing suspensions on about a dozen e34s including several M5s, and eliminating self-leveling, I do like how I personally can tailor a suspension to me. Howeer, I still like the wheel travel of the EDC suspension and how it keeps the tires on the ground.

After tuning a few S38 3.6s, the throttle sensor is better in the 3.8 as it can read partial throttle for fine computer adjustments.

My ideal S38B38 would be to change the flywheel to 3.6L, change the diff gearing, add a chip, change swaybars, and if I wanted more, change the cams. Now that would be nice. I still love how I built up my e34 using the 3.6L and how it benefits the lighter weight.

lol, both options are still awesome options!
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

He he he.....

You know, the S38s are so amazing. What I realized with these engines is how little is needed to add power. I mean little. In fact, most M5 owners just add a chip. Thats it. More power, more rpms, more fun, less stress from tinkering with mods that need work to balance out. I spend way less time with the maintenance than I would if I were to do mods on it. Hmmm, start with 315 base horsepower with ///M factory engineering and testing, now I know I just need to massage the beautiful inline 6 a little to get it where I want it.

Gotta love the Vrooooooooom 7200+rpm, shift, snap my neck from the direct power of 6 throttle bodies, vrooooom, see ya centrifugal supercharged e36 M3, vroooooom...........open mouths gaze not from the speed, but from a 15 year old family 4 door embarrasing modern sports cars with ease. No drama. Smooth power delivery. Predictable naturally aspirated torque that spans almost 4,000 rpm for its sweet spot.

People ask if I have an intake and they are suprised when I say no. It's just the sweet singing (or sing ///M) from the stock engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    Brandon! Please stop with the teasing! I'm about to run out for a quick S38 flogging trip!

I love all BMWs, and all things BMW (even the downfalls), but NOTHING compares to the feeling I get every time I drive the M5. Whether I'm babying it around getting stares from the locals, or driving the tar out of it, I just can't seem to wipe the smile off my face.

This is something no other "newer, better, faster" BMW has been able to do for me.

S38 I salute you!
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    He he he.....

You know, the S38s are so amazing. What I realized with these engines is how little is needed to add power. I mean little. In fact, most M5 owners just add a chip. Thats it. More power, more rpms, more fun, less stress from tinkering with mods that need work to balance out. I spend way less time with the maintenance than I would if I were to do mods on it. Hmmm, start with 315 base horsepower with ///M factory engineering and testing, now I know I just need to massage the beautiful inline 6 a little to get it where I want it.

Gotta love the Vrooooooooom 7200+rpm, shift, snap my neck from the direct power of 6 throttle bodies, vrooooom, see ya centrifugal supercharged e36 M3, vroooooom...........open mouths gaze not from the speed, but from a 15 year old family 4 door embarrasing modern sports cars with ease. No drama. Smooth power delivery. Predictable naturally aspirated torque that spans almost 4,000 rpm for its sweet spot.

People ask if I have an intake and they are suprised when I say no. It's just the sweet singing (or sing ///M) from the stock engine.
    OK now you really need to stop because I'm drooling all over my key board
    -Mike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234