GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Brake Linings Cluster warning?

Default Brake Linings Cluster warning?

What is this message indicating?
    Last edited by Jehu; 09-29-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Low brake pads that's what

or the Brake Pad Wear Sensor; Front/Rear has not been changed/is damaged

The reason should become evident when inspected. Just got back from a quick purchase of a 1994 525 5sp for my Son which was giving that message along with coolant level and fog lamp. Needs thrust arm bushings,a windshield,coolant level sensor, passenger side fog lamp lense and bulb.the radiator is sitting too high for the radiator clips to snap into place ,neither were snapped in,not sure what's holding the radiator in place other than the hoses... shocks seem gonzo and the Stock radio os AWOL with a Sony cassette player on the floor. Looks like the wire harness had been cut sadly and after market speaker wire was revealed behind the lower side panel when i was looking for the hood latch bowden cable... .As the seller drove up the driveway in the car over a hump the nose dove hard, also heard some funky groaning when he was turning in similar to pulley bearing seizure, the hood latch is missing but the cable is still affixed, the OBC bulbs are dead, there's a tear in the right hand seam of the driver's seat bottom and there is a fist sized HOLE thru the rear driver's side door! Black on black with about 170,000 miles i hemorrhaged $2,500 plus $200 to my lad for a start on the repairs. Already got the full set of tail lights off ebay one of which will replace the driver's side tail light which has a big hole/gash in it. Not sure what Connecticut's Inspection failure Grace Period is but he seemed to think it was 30-60 days to get the safety issues fixed..The boy and his mother told me he'd had the car inspected at a shop who said the control arm bushing was bad and that was it beside the other obviously visible stuff.. The seller had held onto the car for a month after i sent them the link on Craigslist suggesting they check it out so though i felt it was a mistake i gave it up and now Forrest is going to learn to repair an E34
    Last edited by Jehu; 09-29-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Sounds like the boy will have dirty fingernails. Is this the best one you could find?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

No,it was the first.. The thing was he had been living next door to his emplyer with whom he commuted to work and his Girlfirned was near and loaned him her car regularly. He moved too far for these and now urgerntly needed a car to keep his job. I found it on the classified site and urged them to get it inspected. I live in another state. they said they'd done that but in reality he just had a friend with him for a test drive... I alsmost threw up when i saw the guy drive it up with the HOOD OPEN and heard that creak/groan when he tried to turn the weel hard at low speed then saw the fist sized hole with its surrounding rust band.... I said tomyself this is going to be an expensive object lesson but its once in a Blue Moon that anyone listens to me. It runs and should be ammenable to modest repairs and for a kid's first car i guess its fine.. I have an alpine CD player and KEF Car speakers i'll give him though I've heard tales of such aftermarket wiring causing dash fires.. If i can find a good replacment door i'll pass it along to him and suggest he at least wire the radiator to the grill so its not bouncing around . It looks newish so whoever installed it did a rush job. His friend who drove it and drives a manual as his dailiy driver said the clutch was tight and so since they'd been delaying the seller a month i didn't want to pi$$ him off when he was kind enough to drive it to where it would be parked.My son hadn't yet obtained the plates so i didn't want him driving it back naked.. C'est la Vie..

Heh, sounds kind of like my car when I bought it. Well, not QUITE, but there were a number of things I needed to change. I had LOW BEAM (lkm), BRAKE LININGS (still on, pads are good sensors missing), and after shutoff WASHER FLUID LOW (washer pump shot+leaking from grommet) and COOLANT LEVEL (just the sensor). Also tires weren't great, the interior door panels needed some regluing, lower control arms and rear sway bar links all needed replacement. OH and theres still an issue with the blower motor (sword I believe). None of it too major and I managed to do just about everything at a relatively low cost. SINCE I bought it the exhaust system sprung a very dramatic leak (new catback just installed) and just the other day was I was stuck in one place for 25 minutes (broken traffic light) my temperature gauge started ticking upwards until I started moving again, i think its the fan clutch. And all of this is in what detailed records show has been a fairly well-maintained car.. All the problems that come up seem to be the usual E34/M30 culprits (I'm just praying I don't have to do the head gasket any time soon).

MORAL OF THE STORY
    once you fix everything that was wrong when you bought it all the stuff that you're told is SUPPOSED to break will break. Good luck to your son, hopefully he'll have some fun with it