GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Buidling up power into M50 non vanos???

Default Buidling up power into M50 non vanos???

Picking up a future E36 track car. The car will be a dedicated track car.

I am going to build up some power into the M50 non vanos:
    - chip
    - cams
    - ???

Stroker engine is expensive... engine conversion is expensive...
    Any other way short to supercharger / turbo to get 230 HP from the non vanos???

Thanks guys.

On a lighter note, I will keep both E34s and find the finance for the track car...
    BMW rules.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

i like the power band of a non vanos m50, it has that on the cam surge at 3500 or so, theres not as many cam choices for the non vanos but i think the stock cams are already hotter on the non vanos, it also has double springs, but the stems of the valves are bigger and take up more space in the port, no knock sensors, it has plenty of compression. i do think theres around 20 hp hiding in those cam gears in terms of cam timing, you just need to figure out how to measure your adjustments to track progress or failure. think of it like this, the non vanos and vanos make the same hp stock, theres some hotter parts in the non vanos motor, they detuned the tu to make it more civilized then made it up with vanos and electronics (imho)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    Picking up a future E36 track car. The car will be a dedicated track car.

I am going to build up some power into the M50 non vanos:
    - chip
    - cams
    - ???

Stroker engine is expensive... engine conversion is expensive...
    Any other way short to supercharger / turbo to get 230 HP from the non vanos???

Thanks guys.

On a lighter note, I will keep both E34s and find the finance for the track car...
    BMW rules.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks for the insight.
    I know that you can put some other cams on the non vanos, but I want to have at least the same HP as the 535i... but the fact that the car is lighter might be enough...
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Can the non vanos M50 be bored and/or stroked similar to the S50 (I think) motor of the e36 M3 from early to mid 1990's vintage?
    JR
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    Can the non vanos M50 be bored and/or stroked similar to the S50 (I think) motor of the e36 M3 from early to mid 1990's vintage?
    JR
    I've been researching this. Essentially you could get a S50 bottom end, crank, and some other misc. parts (ie. wrecked M3) and make a 2.9L M50. I too have non-vanos and i think the cams are much more fun. There's no "vanos" kick... there's a cam kick around 3200 - 3500 rpm that's really noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I've been researching this. Essentially you could get a S50 bottom end, crank, and some other misc. parts (ie. wrecked M3) and make a 2.9L M50. I too have non-vanos and i think the cams are much more fun. There's no "vanos" kick... there's a cam kick around 3200 - 3500 rpm that's really noticeable.

----^ was me

get a bottom end from a 328/528 (m52) and stick your head on it (or the whole motor) it's the same bore but it has a longer stroke to get the extra .3 , and theirs a lot more x28s out there then s50s

Quote Originally Posted by JR'Z 525
    JR
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

my machinest buddy just built a m52 out of a old short block i had, a warped m50 head (that he straightened) and m52 cams, he then atached a 318 m42 tranny to it and dropped it in his 89 325is that allready has m3 suspension (which should of been mine dammit) should be cool