GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Preventive maintenance for your E34…

Default Preventive maintenance for your E34…

I was helping my friend with the door brake problem on his E34. You know that annoying sound (snap, snap, etc.) when you open and close the door. His doorframe, where the two bolts hold the door brake, had several cracks cause by the door brake. To my surprise, the metal in this area seemed extremely thin and only two bolts hold the door brake. There is good amount of stress put on this area! After many operations or several wild swing of the door caused by a strong wind WILL CAUSE the doorframe to crack. After repairing my friend’s door, I looked at my door and sure enough my door had a crack as well. Here is the solution to prevent the doorframe from cracking. I purchased two extra wide washers (Home Depot washer # 2642) and put the washer between the doorframe and the bolts that hold the door brake. By doing so, the extra wide washers alleviate the doorframe from stress caused by door brake. To make it even stronger, you could put JB Weld between the doorframe and the washers (glue the washer to the doorframe). You will need Torx T30 socket wrench, two washers (Home Depot #2642), and JB Weld (not needed unless cracked but better if you do use it). I think this cheap preventive maintenance could save you the some grief down the road.

Photo below is from Bruno’s site. Note: this person used a small washer but you should use the extra wide washer instead to divert the stress. Also, if you already have the crack, you NEED TO USE JB Weld or other similar product between the doorframe and washers to repair the crack. Hope this helps...

Last edited by Rick L; 05-14-2004 at 09:18 PM.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Default A more permanent "commercial" fix!

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/

These door brake repair plates are heavy duty, and work well!

Default Thanks for the added info...

Thanks for the information. I think the plate will work great! Or you could spend only $0.10 for the extra wide washer and it will work very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhanna
    http://www.koalamotorsport.com/

These door brake repair plates are heavy duty, and work well!
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

the metal in that area of the door is a pain in the ass, theres two layers of metal coming together right there and the inner layer is not flat, i've fixed several doors that were totally blown out (you could remove the brake through the hole) i cut the end out of a junk door and piece the end of the door back together and weld it solid, when i am done it's as strong or stronger then it was new, a splash of paint and if you didn't know to look you'd miss it, ill check if i still have some pics of the last one i did
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it