GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone agree with my theory on rear noises...

Default Anyone agree with my theory on rear noises...

Ok, this is my last try to diagnose the terrible noise i have coming from the rear before i take it to a shop (which i really don't want to do!).

The noise i have is a knocking over rough surfaces...it seems to have got worse, and i found today that i can reproduce it when i turn the wheel from side to side when driving in a straight line. This makes me think its the pitman arms (which i have recently replaced (200mile i think), but i can't see how i could have fitted these incorrectly? It sounds as though its from the general area of the pitmans too. But i was also thinking the trailing arm bushes, but they 'look' ok.

I also have a very loud and scary noise that sounds like one of those chinese gongs when i go on and off one of those big black speedpumps... It sounds high, like near the rear parcel shelf so i'm guessing the shock mounts? The shocks seem to be fine, no strange ride issues, pretty even on both sides and when i bounce it with my hands it react as i'd expect.

The car sounds like an old banger at the moment and its really embarrassing. The loud gong noise is also very worrying it makes me think the shock will pop through the bodywork!

Any thoughts?
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

i saw in an old post before the same issue that you have. it has a crack in the shock mount area...just take out your rear seats and probably the headboard and take a look... inspect for cracks

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

I was under the impression you accessed it through the boot... I looked but the board behind the seat was well secured so i didn't want to mess too much. I'll be inspecting that tonight, dreading changing them but i was dreading the brakes when i done them and that wasn't a big deal... Famous last words.

My friends e30 had the same kind of noise, it was scary, I thought it was going to come through the bodywork as well!

Turned out to be the rear shock mounts. The bentley manual also says you access it by removing the rear seat, do you have a copy? I can send you one if you don't.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    I was under the impression you accessed it through the boot... I looked but the board behind the seat was well secured so i didn't want to mess too much. I'll be inspecting that tonight, dreading changing them but i was dreading the brakes when i done them and that wasn't a big deal... Famous last words.
    Just pull off the bottom of the rear seat, then unfasten the plastic nuts and the bottom of the upright part and it should pull out. Then you can sneak in under the rear parcel shelf and inspect the top of the shock mount.

Rear subframe bushings also can clunk when the direction of torque on the drive train changes, like letting off the gas abruptly. You can pull off the cover plate on the underside of the car with 2, 13mm nuts and one 22mm (?) and inspect that visually. Otherwise I would suggest backing up on ramps, giving the underside a good cleaning and wiggling things / prying things to see if there is any excess movement of signs of wear.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    My friends e30 had the same kind of noise, it was scary, I thought it was going to come through the bodywork as well!

Turned out to be the rear shock mounts. The bentley manual also says you access it by removing the rear seat, do you have a copy? I can send you one if you don't.
    Hey thanks, i'd really appreciate it if you could send me a copy I only have a haynes manual (sh*te i know)! Should i PM you with my email? Thanks again!!!

Hey guys i've just took the seat off thanks for the advice, and took the top rubbery covers off (the spherical ones are a b*tch to get off!), and found something suspicious...

On the left hand side one it seems to be well off alignment and this is the side thats making all kinds of noises (although they do sound closer to the floor - could be related?). I don't know much about the shock mounts but theres the plate where the three nuts are, and then a gap and then a big washer and then a gap and another big washer then a nut. The washers are not aligned on top of each other but at an angle - whereas on the right side the washers are all on top of each other straight up in a line. I'm guessing this is a bad thing? What should i do?!!!!! Any more help/advice/links seriously appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Any more help/advice/links seriously appreciated.
    Maybe you could get the mobile phone camera working and post a pic? I wouldnt know if it was right or wrong but I'm sure someone will. Take up Robin's suggestion and check the subframe bushes too. Mine are fkd and this is how I checked them: in gear and handbrake off. Grab hold of a back tyre and rotate it forwards. When all the slack is taken up with a jolt watch the front of the trailing arm. If it dips noticeably they are probably toast. Try rotating the tyre backwards to be sure-the front of the arm will probably go up!
    Safety tips:1. dont do this on a hill 2. Dont put your head near the wheels even if you are curious 3. always have a mate that can phone 999 standing by

Sorry Robin i meant to reply earlier, been rushing around a bit tonight... I changed the rear sub bushes myself about 4 thousand miles ago because of a similar (yet less frequent noise). They were TOAST! I checked the new ones again recently because i thought i might have ripped them out by driving a bit too sprightly one day when i managed to loose my cool. However they look fine and i replaced the four little bolts and the two big nuts while i was there and cleaned the plate and sprayed it with and undercarriage protector.

Thanks Whisky (could just go for a JD right now!), i'm hoping there's someone experienced in the art of shocks/mounts as it looks grim on the passenger side (RHD) who can give me some more hints/tips.

I can send you a copy if you like but its 44 meg, not sure how email would handle it. You can download a really useful cd from this link (use the one on the 2nd page), it has the manual plus loads of other useful stuff:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ntley+download

You can download just the manual from here (2nd link is better - searchable):

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ntley+download

Its a really useful bit of kit. BTW thanks for the advice on the tie rods, did them today, will get the alignment done tomorrow.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast