GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery light...

Default Battery light...

Hey guys. I've been noticing that on occasion the car takes a few seconds longer than normal to start and that the remote locking only works when i'm right next to the car (the battery in the remote's been changed recently!).

Also, the battery light sometimes takes a while to go out, today it took about 15 seconds to fade out. (Car had not been started in 6 days normally run every day).

Does it mean i should change the battery? I don't know when it was last changed, but not since i have owned it (which is only six months...)

What do you think? Oh, and if it is the battery, can i change it myself is it easy?

I hope thats not a stupid question.

Probably is.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

The car's alternator is responsible for charging the battery. No additional charging should be required.
    You can charge the battery manually with a charger to see if it takes and holds charge.
    I'll gues your alternator is on it's way out. Often replacing just the voltage regulator portion is all that is required, a big saving over the cost of a complete alternator.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    I'll gues your alternator is on it's way out. Often replacing just the voltage regulator portion is all that is required, a big saving over the cost of a complete alternator.
    Hmmmm, thats worse than i thought. Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll have to look into it see how much we're looking at...

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    Hmmmm, thats worse than i thought. Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll have to look into it see how much we're looking at...
    Stick a voltmeter over your battery terminals and see what it says after a few minutes running, should be about 13.5-14.1 volts.

If that shows normal, make a b line for halfords and ask em to do a free battery check. They'll be able to tell you in seconds if the battery's goosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Stick a voltmeter over your battery terminals and see what it says after a few minutes running, should be about 13.5-14.1 volts.

If that shows normal, make a b line for halfords and ask em to do a free battery check. They'll be able to tell you in seconds if the battery's goosed.
    I don't have a voltmeter so is it ok to just head straight to halfords for a free check... You don;t get anything for free these days so i wonder what the catch is...

*Like the 'free' brake check at national, if they check it and you don't get any work done by them you have to pay for the inspection!!!!!

I don't have a voltmeter so is it ok to just head straight to halfords for a free check... You don;t get anything for free these days so i wonder what the catch is...

*Like the 'free' brake check at national, if they check it and you don't get any work done by them you have to pay for the inspection!!!!!
    Ferret meant a muliti-meter. If you dont know anybody that has one the Halfords check IS free. They will tell you that you need a new battery or alternator etc and you are under no obligation to buy from them. Give them a bell and check it out.

Ooh thanks, will hopefully be able to get that done tomorrow, heading near Halfords to pick up a few other bits anyway...

Cheers guys, i'll report back with Battery info...

Ooh thanks, will hopefully be able to get that done tomorrow, heading near Halfords to pick up a few other bits anyway...

Cheers guys, i'll report back with Battery info...
    you can check the voltage from your OBC

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8
    you can check the voltage from your OBC
    Always use a DMM but would be interested to know how if it saves taking the back seat out

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Always use a DMM but would be interested to know how if it saves taking the back seat out
    :P You should be able to do it from the remote jump start point under the bonnet if fitted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast