GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tie rods and ends - DIY job?

Default Tie rods and ends - DIY job?

I need to change my tie rods and the ends - seriously worn and seizing. Ball joints are absolutely shot.

I just want to know can i change these or do i need to get a shop to do it? I'd like to do it myself and then drive to a tracking place straight away and get them tracked in the right level, would this be ok?

If so any tips or hints on doing so would be great, as i'd really like to take this one on. Thanks.

John.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Yep, strictly a nuts and bolts job. Replace your entire arm with the ball joint in it and you save lots of time and get a new bushing as well. Wheel alignment will be needed when finished.
    The procedure is well cover here many times.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Yep, strictly a nuts and bolts job. Replace your entire arm with the ball joint in it and you save lots of time and get a new bushing as well. Wheel alignment will be needed when finished.
    The procedure is well cover here many times.
    Yep, swap the whole arm out, it's much easier & quicker. Unbolt and knock the old one off, measure the distance from pin to pin, then set the new one to the same length and lock the pinch bolts up. Fit the new one and tighten up the self locking nuts. Get the alignment checked with the $$ you saved in labour charges. Better still, do both sides at the same time!

HTH,

Shaun M

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    I need to change my tie rods and the ends - seriously worn and seizing. Ball joints are absolutely shot.

I just want to know can i change these or do i need to get a shop to do it? I'd like to do it myself and then drive to a tracking place straight away and get them tracked in the right level, would this be ok?

If so any tips or hints on doing so would be great, as i'd really like to take this one on. Thanks.

John.
    Pretty straight forward if replacing with complete tie rod ends. I did it last year on my 92 525. Took my time and complete the replacement in about 4 hours and took it to an alignment shop. Follow the directions from this website - http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...ering_link.htm

Very useful information.

Good Luck.

Hey i'v bought the whole units and going to put them in now!!!! Just wandering, should i put anti-seize grease on the threads to avoiding seizing in the future? Seems like the sensible thing to do but thought i'd check???!!!!

Hey i'v bought the whole units and going to put them in now!!!! Just wandering, should i put anti-seize grease on the threads to avoiding seizing in the future? Seems like the sensible thing to do but thought i'd check???!!!!
    No reason why not - I covered the threads and pinch bolts on mine with grease last year when I replaced them.

HTH,

Shaun M

I've done it!!!! Piece of piss, no problems, 2 and a half hours from wheels off to wheels on.

I put anti-seize on thanks for the response! Now to get the tracking done and see how far out i put it!!!!

I'll have to do a write up on this job, really enjoyed the experience.

Thanks again guys.

should i put anti-seize grease on the threads to avoiding seizing in the future? Seems like the sensible thing to do but thought i'd check???!!!!
    Don't know anyone elses opinion, but I usually put a thin smear of copperslip onto the taper and the threads when I reassemble them.

Who do I love Most - Wife, Kids or Car...
    Wife's always moaning, Kids always yelling...
    OK - The Car Wins!!

Well done mate! so what are you going to do next?

Cheers,

Shaun M

Cheers! I was looking forward to a rest after the recent DIY mechanics but i've got noises coming from the front and back still, doing my head in!!!!

The front can only be the thrust arm balljoints, due to the sound over bumps and the wheel wobble (already done control arms so not them). Thats the first on my list, really want to get it out of the way. I'm hoping the front end is sorted then. Going for parts tomorrow, then going to press them in tuesday using a press i found in work, then replace the arms wednesday evening.

The noise from the back i'm assuming is the trailing arm bushes as i have replaced the sub bushes/pitmans/stab links. I'm just going to search around for info on this job, as i'm hoping i wont have to take it to a shop and pay ridiculous labour charges.

Fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast