GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Water pump bolt broke, what type of bolt extractor?

Default Water pump bolt broke, what type of bolt extractor?

Hi, I was just reinstalling the waterpump on my '90 E34 M30. I was torquing everything down to 22NM (16ftlbs) as stated in the Bentley manual. I was at about 18NM when the bolt broke off in the motor.

What type of bolt extractor, Brand, size, name, ect... should I use to get it out?

Any other help would be appreciated
    Tia,
    Eric

is there any of the bolt sticking out of the block? damn that sux.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

E-Z Out is probably what you'd use, but those water pump bolts are pretty small, so I'm not sure they make EZOuts that would work for it. EZ Outs work like this- it's a piece of steel that looks like an old square nail almost, and it gets hammered into the offending bolt after having it's core drilled out with the appropriate size. Then you unscrew the EZOUT, hopefully with the bolt stuck to it.

If there's a little of the bolt sticking out, I would try vice grips. 16ft/lbs shouldn't be too hard to get out.

If all else fails, you could always use a heli-coil/perma-coil, but it'd be a bitch to drill and tap out your block while lying on a creeper.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

16 pounds is WAY the hell too much for a 10mm/6mm shank bolt, on something like that use a 1/4 drive ratchet and snug em down in a cross pattern using your wrist power only, tightening in a couple stages helps too on not squashing the gasket out. generally a snapped bolt is easy to get out if the threads have been used recently and it's not bottomed in the hole, it'll probably back right out, if it's subsurface take a pick and see if you can spin it with that 1st before you bring out the big guns, hit it with wd40 or your favorite penitraiting oil, i like pb blaster
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

ya know i was just thinkin about 16 foot lbs...thats a LOT of twist man!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default 7.37 ft.lbs or 88 inch lbs. is the torque on the 6mm bolts on the water pump..the

square nail looking ez outs are absolute garbage and you won't get it out with one of those... What you're going to have to do is remove the pump and see if any of the remains stick out above the surface, if so , if you can get a stud remover use that , if not use a pair of vice grips and attempt to remove it. if its below the surface first look at all the other holes to determine if its a blind hole (most likely ) or if the hole goes all the way through, if its a blind hole and any at all sticks out, then carefully take a file and file the top of the bolt flat, then take a center punch and punch the exact center of the bolt, then get a good quality ez out such as the spiral twist ones that snap on makes... this is not the place to go cheap, cheap ez outs twist and break in the hole.... Then using the correct size ez out it will have chart that tells you the drill bit size to use to fit the ez out best. Drill carefull on your punch mark and then attempt to remove it with the ez out. If this doesn't work then you get to drill it out and use a helicoil to repair it... The 6mm helicoil kit comes with the correct tap and drill to use to repair this.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanS
    E-Z Out is probably what you'd use, but those water pump bolts are pretty small, so I'm not sure they make EZOuts that would work for it. EZ Outs work like this- it's a piece of steel that looks like an old square nail almost, and it gets hammered into the offending bolt after having it's core drilled out with the appropriate size. Then you unscrew the EZOUT, hopefully with the bolt stuck to it.

If there's a little of the bolt sticking out, I would try vice grips. 16ft/lbs shouldn't be too hard to get out.

If all else fails, you could always use a heli-coil/perma-coil, but it'd be a bitch to drill and tap out your block while lying on a creeper.

Fortunately, this is one of the uppermost holes that is open on the back side of the flange, so I shot some Blaster penetrating oil on the bolt segment from both front and rear. The bolt threads were cleaned with a toothbrush just before insertion last night.

Also, there is ~1/16" of the bolt fragment protruding from the flange face.

So, Plan "A" is to cut a groove on this protruding segement with a Dremel tool ceramic disk (being careful not to knick the flange face), and try and back out the fragment with a flat blade screwdriver.

Plan "B" is cut cut a perpendicular groove, for a Phillips screwdriver, being careful to center the X on the centerline of the bolt fragment.

Plan "C" is to drill a centerline hole in the bolt segment, starting at the centerline X left by plan "B" and then use a spiral left-handed bolt extractor EasyOut.

Plan "D" would kick in only if A, B, and C fail. "D" would be to drill out the whole thing, insert a longer bolt, and (since the back side of the flange is open & available) use a locknut on the back side.

Plan "E" is a Helicoil kit installation.

Before I mess this thing up any more, would you please offer suggestions and insights on these or any better ideas?

Factor in beer when you're done, you deserve it.

It came out with a pair of vise grips, wasn't in there too tight. About the beer, I, the son broke the bolt and screwed it up. My dad who typed the previous post jsut got it out with vise grips. Moral of the story is to read the tricky manuals more carefully.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Eric