GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear seat cd changer - what do u think?

Default rear seat cd changer - what do u think?

i just did a ski-hole cd changer install (jvc changer controlled by cassette-deck HU) and it's pretty cool, but i kind of need even the small amount of trunk space that it takes up. also it's pretty vulnerable there and i don't want to take up more space building even a small wall around it. i'm thinking about putting it under the rear seat instead and cutting a small access hole in the front of the rear seat support and carpet. being able to reach it from the driver's seat would be a bonus - i would just need a small opening to pull the cartridge out, i'm not sure what i'd use for trim or a door... i'm kind of hoping for an inspired visit to home depot or something.
    anyway, what do you think? bad idea? has anyone put a hole there for anything? i sure would appreciate suggestions or a photo if you did as i'm kind of playing this by ear and i'd rather it not end up eyesore-ish.

Who even bothers with CD changers anymore? Just get an iPod or Zune and connect it to your head unit.

Play thousands of songs instead of dozens...

Have a look at my old thread. It may be of some help if you're looking to retain space and accessibility

Heres a preview

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Very slick. Are there any problems with it skipping?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Isn't there a metal beam that runs below the front of the rear seat base and doesn't this make up part of the chassis? From what I have seen it seems like a structural part of the car and I personally would avoid cutting holes in it unless it was just a drill hole.

How about under the passenger seat? I've got my dvd player under there. Yoiu loose the first aid kit but mine was missing when I bought the car anyway.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Very slick. Are there any problems with it skipping?
    Nope, plays happily both up and down. I'm still surprised how well it tolerates the upright position.

Dave

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

yes... the beam is at the bottom of the space/seat support/youknow, the thing. i was wondering about that. - i only need a hole big enough for the cartridge plus a half inch for my fingertips, though - the upper part seems made just to fit the seat and i would think would stay pretty solid.

i think i might have prematurely dismissed putting it under the passenger seat... that is the best option if it fits, i thought there was no way but i will definitely measure it tomorrow... duhhh ... thanks!

very cool... mine won't play on its side tho .

yeah... ipods are cool. although i find the recording levels and quality to be really inconsistent in files that i have 'shared'. i'll set one song to a good volume then the next comes in and blows my ears to pieces.
    with the cd changer attached to (and controlled by) my cassette head i now have the choice of -any of 12 cds, -classic analog tape hiss, long may it reign, and -the 'aux in' i had previously wired into the head ($10atthelocalshop). had to stay analog... how else could i listen to my iron maiden tapes?

Dunno what the exact dimensions are for your changer, but I put mine in the glovebox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast