GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OBC in and works, now how do I swap the indicator stalk???

Default OBC in and works, now how do I swap the indicator stalk???

I tried to get the trim panel off the underside of the steering column, but it seemed firmly attached closest to the steering wheel. Do I have to go through the trouble of taking off the steering wheel? I'm assuming that when I get that trim off, the indicator will just unplug.

Anyone??? Winfred??? Help, I want to do this today, but can't get the trim off the steering column!

i am trying to remember if you gotta pull the wheel to remove the shroud, i think you do, some you do some you don't, the switch just unclips from it's mount. i do so many different cars they start to run together till i look at one, if you pull the bag disconnect the battery and wait about a half hour to avoid a bag light, and the bitching from the board if you ask "how do i turn off the srs light", if you search bill r has a write up on removing the wheel
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Thanks

Thanks Winfred,
    I don't have an airbag, so I'll just get the wheel off. Just seems like the shroud is attached behind the wheel somehow, i'm guessing there's a screw undder there. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the wheel off, as I'll be worring for the next month that I didn't put it back on right...

The new indicator I have has two harness connections, a relay, and a ground wire, so I'm just hoping like hell it will go straight in there.

after you remove the 22mm nut take a punch and mark the shaft and wheel before you pull it off so you can stick it back on the right spline, you gotta unlock the steering to remove the wheel, the lock engauges a ring on the wheel
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks again,
    I don't have a 22mm socket, so I guess it will have to wait till I get to my partners house on Monday...

22mm = 7/8

netmgr Guest

Default perhaps

I did this to mine, and yes you do need to remove steering wheel...

But my stalk was from an E32, and i had too many wires...and the relay unit thats on the E34 unit isnt on the E32 - it seems all it does is click.....ie to let you know its on, perhaps the E32 version of this is located someplace else...

bottom line i didnt fit the relay unit....result works fine, but i have no annoying clicking sound everytime i turn a corner...been like that for years so must be ok..

I did have to alter one wire though to get the OBC to change functions...cant remember which

Just a thought incase you have any further probs

darren

Quote Originally Posted by netmgr
    I did this to mine, and yes you do need to remove steering wheel...

But my stalk was from an E32, and i had too many wires...and the relay unit thats on the E34 unit isnt on the E32 - it seems all it does is click.....ie to let you know its on, perhaps the E32 version of this is located someplace else...

bottom line i didnt fit the relay unit....result works fine, but i have no annoying clicking sound everytime i turn a corner...been like that for years so must be ok..

I did have to alter one wire though to get the OBC to change functions...cant remember which

Just a thought incase you have any further probs

darren
    Thanks for that,
    My indicator did come from an E34, so hopefully it should just be a straight swap. The one I have has a large harness connector, a 3-pin harness connector, a brown ground wire, and the relay hanging off.

The wires that go to the stalk switch are integrated into the base of the stalk, and must come out of the harness somewhere, so I'm HOPING the car is already wired up to the harness connector for the switch.

Default Dan let me know how you get on with the shroud.

I have an appointment with my wiper/wash switch in an attempt to track down my non working intensive clean system....the button on the end is the same as the OBC button i suspect......I havent been able to figure out how to get the shroud of either....
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast