GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear sway bar Links-Help!

Default Rear sway bar Links-Help!

How in the do you get them on? I understand you lube and press them on. What type of "clamp" should I use. My drivers side is resisting a C-Clamp held with vise-grips. It is about 1/2 on with the sway bar rod almost through. Had to actually cut the old one off. Presently stuck. Help!
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

First, my recommendation is to take a rotary brush or something and clean off the end of the sway bar (where the links go) REALLY well. I spent literlaly hours trying to push the damn things on with every kind of grip possible, even after cleaning them with a wire brush. Then I took my dremel out and attached a wire brush attachment and did a hell of a cleaning job. Then to my surprise with a very strong push and someone holding the sway bar (pushing towards me) it finally went on smoothly. Then did the same on the other side and it worked.

Thanks for teh suggestion. Wish I had someone to help. Even so there was no rust or corrosion on the sway bar end. I did clean and lube and it is half on. Not why it seems to be hard to finish the job.

Going out and see if I can find some sort of press or clamp that should work. BTW, a small tie rod puller would have pushed the old linke off the bar. However, I forgot I had one until after I cut the driver's side link off.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I ended up using a 4" 2-jaw gear puller to "pull" the link onto the sway bar. I clamped a pair of vise grips to the bar for a "seat" for the pointed /center part of the gear puller. Took five minutes each. I hope the tri-flow oil I used for lube does not mess up the link's functionality
    Thanks,

hope it doesnt degerate the rubber...
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I ended up using a 4" 2-jaw gear puller to "pull" the link onto the sway bar. I clamped a pair of vise grips to the bar for a "seat" for the pointed /center part of the gear puller. Took five minutes each. I hope the tri-flow oil I used for lube does not mess up the link's functionality
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    hope it doesnt degerate the rubber...
    I suspect the pressure pressing it on the bar squeezed most or all of the lube out.
    Thanks,

Just clean the surface, as suggested, and then soak the dog-bones/links in a bowl of hot soapy water, this provides all the lube needed and softens the rubber for a short while so you can just slip them on!

As this is mostely an American forum, should i include a disclaimer warning about the possibility of burning from hot water or something!!...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana19
    First, my recommendation is to take a rotary brush or something and clean off the end of the sway bar (where the links go) REALLY well. I spent literlaly hours trying to push the damn things on with every kind of grip possible, even after cleaning them with a wire brush. Then I took my dremel out and attached a wire brush attachment and did a hell of a cleaning job. Then to my surprise with a very strong push and someone holding the sway bar (pushing towards me) it finally went on smoothly. Then did the same on the other side and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by 525SEI BRIT
    Just clean the surface, as suggested, and then soak the dog-bones/links in a bowl of hot soapy water, this provides all the lube needed and softens the rubber for a short while so you can just slip them on!

As this is mostely an American forum, should i include a disclaimer warning about the possibility of burning from hot water or something!!...lol...
    Thanks for the advice. I sure wish I had done the softening bit with heat first. I just did not understand how much of a pain it would be before i started. I also did not know that the choice of lube was important, sort of like subframe bushings. BTW, no disclaimer necessary

BTW, did your 95 540i come withe brake ducts or did you add them? In the US only the 94 540i came with brake ducts.
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Thanks for the advice. I sure wish I had done the softening bit with heat first. I just did not understand how much of a pain it would be before i started. I also did not know that the choice of lube was important, sort of like subframe bushings. BTW, no disclaimer necessary

Only meesin!!

Did it work?!!

BTW, did your 95 540i come withe brake ducts or did you add them? In the US only the 94 540i came with brake ducts.
    To my knowledge all the UK and i think European 540's came with the ducts as standard, to distinguish them from the lesser engined cars. Can’t understand why you guys were robed of this feature, same as the rear headrests I guess!

lesser engines!

We got rear headrests in Canada, my 1991 525 has them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast