GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into PCs?

Default Anyone into PCs?

Hey guys sorta OT, very OT actually but I am at work on lunch and what the hell.

I just upgraded my PC @ home. I had been using:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+ speeds
    1GB DDR Kingston Memory
    Epox 8RDA3+ Motherboard
    ATI X800 Pro video card
    160GB IDE
    120GB SATA
    Coolermaster Mini R120 self-contained water cooler
    WinXP Pro 32 bit

I couldn't play any new games really, I was running out of hard disk, and honestly I am working now so I figured what the hey, build a kick ass system!

So what I got is:

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz @ 3.1GHz
    eVGA 680i SLI Motherboard (NF68-A1, can overclock the quad)
    4GB DDR2 800 G.Skill Memory (2 x 2GB, may bump to 8GB for shits)
    eVGA Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3 Card
    2x Hitachi 500GB SATA drives in RAID 0
    700w Thermaltake PSU
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

So needless to say the system is fast and I am very happy. Still going to add another 500GB drive, and probably another 4GB of RAM (I want to run Ubuntu and have a dedicated drive, but want to be able to run Windows Vista in a VirtualBox session with 2 - 3GB of RAM dedicated).

The only thing I sort of regretted was that I used my old PC case which is a nice Antec tower, but the finish (factory paint) had scratches/chips. So I powder coated it gloss white, which was nice.

Thats the new PC in there.

However, the space was tight, so I decided to look at new cases (and the fact that I now have a Athlon XP system with no case!).

The CPU was also "average" in terms of temperature but the video card was heating the hell out of the case. So, time for a bigger/better designed case.

I went and ordered the Thermaltake Armor LCS - its a big nicely designed case with tons of room, but it comes with a decent water cooling setup. I got the black version but the front looks like...

You can see the new water cooling and all. I am adding a 2nd radiator 320mm in length to supplement the stock 240mm radiator, so as to provide me with the ability to add the video card and north bridge into the water loop.

Anyone else into this stuff at all?

What is the price for a Jon K special pc?
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    What is the price for a Jon K special pc?
    LOL a what? This setup, without keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers comes in around $1900 after I added the new case... prob a little over $2,000 with the additional watercooling parts I ordered.

I must have done something horrible in a past life because God made me love 3 very expensive hobbies! Computers, turbo BMWs, and photography!

I'm a Director of IT, so I deal with this stuff all day...

Are you able to find all your drivers for Vista 64bit? I run regular Vista ultimate on my work laptop and have issues finding drivers (especially printers.)

Why did you go 64bit? the 32bit version would be good enough as most applications aren't 64bit and don't even need the full 4gb of RAM. I would only go 64bit if I were running a server with some sort of database. I run Windows Server 2003 64bit on one of my servers and find it's more of a problem then a solution (although it's very fast, not much is written for it).

Cool machine thought...

Quote Originally Posted by spyrot1
    I'm a Director of IT, so I deal with this stuff all day...

Are you able to find all your drivers for Vista 64bit? I run regular Vista ultimate on my work laptop and have issues finding drivers (especially printers.)

Why did you go 64bit? the 32bit version would be good enough as most applications aren't 64bit and don't even need the full 4gb of RAM. I would only go 64bit if I were running a server with some sort of database. I run Windows Server 2003 64bit on one of my servers and find it's more of a problem then a solution (although it's very fast, not much is written for it).

Cool machine thought...
    I am also in IT

32 bit operating systems only account for about 2.5 - 2.75 GB of RAM, anything over that is not utilized. I play some pretty heft new games that benefit from having a bunch of memory. Additionally as I said, I am going to be running a virtual machine with 2 - 3 GB of RAM dedicated and one core dedicated (like having multiple computers in one this way with virtually no latency). 64 bit operating systems are the only ones that have the memory addressing to handle > 4GB. I haven't had any issues with lack of drivers - all my stuff is pretty mainstream

i've been kinda wanting to build a new system but i haven't used up the old one yet i built a few years ago,
    asus k8vse deluxe
    x800 pro
    amd 3200+ 64
    gig of ddr400
    sata2 250 (recent addition)

nothing oc'd, been thinking about gettind a 2nd sata for a raid, adding another gig and may oc the processor and video card a little if needed

i still remember my last mac, a blue & white 300 that i overclocked to 450 with just the addition of a fan to the stock heatsink and some thermal grease, ****er ran at that speed for years, i guess they had plenty of head space on those early processors
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    My system shits on the chest of those boxx's - at least the "non server" boxes they offer.

yeah, but some folks don't build from scratch and have the disposable income you clearly do

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    yeah, but some folks don't build from scratch and have the disposable income you clearly do
    Haha except those things are way more expensive than what I built! DIY and save a ton of cash!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast