GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wierd times with the engine build

Default wierd times with the engine build

So I built the engine and everything was rotating beautifully. I leave it for a couple days and come back to work on it. I put all the stuff on it(front timing cover and chains, oil pan rear seal flywheel and im going to put the torque converter on and it doesn't rotate I slowly tear it back down and try to rotate as I take off parts. I take it all off and now its just the crank and the pistons and con rods. I loosen the con rods and it starts to rotate again. I tighten it all down again and it rotates like it did before????? just don't know what happenened.

For starters, why are you putting the torque converter on now? You're not seriously going to try and put the torque converter onto the flywheel and slide the transmission into place are you?

is that bad? I found it much easier to put the torque converter on when the oil pan is off. but besides that does anyone have a opinion as to why its binding?

plus just so you know the transmission has been dropped and is not in the car right now.

you WILL destroy the tranny trying to draw it up to the engine with the converter bolted to the engine first, it's a bit of a pain sometimes installing the converter into the tranny with it sitting on the bench, theres too many things that need to spline together to get it right in one shot, as for your engine locking up id be looking at the rod bearings if that's where it started moving again, you may have one out of place
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

So I should assemble the whole thing on the bench first?

Or should the tranny be in the car and have the torque converter on it then put the engine on it?

the converter needs to be all of the way in the tranny before it's bolted to the engine, the little snout that sticks into the crank will be about flush with the bellhousing when you look at it from the side, it doesn't really matter how it gets into the car, it's easier to get the engine in without the tranny attached but harder to install the tranny, i generally bolt them together then stab the whole thing (unless it's a e36 with a 6 cylinder and then it won't fit, 525/535 will go in together) if you can't get the engine and tranny fitted together stop and figure out why, i've seen dozens of trannys destroyed by people getting them close enough to get a bolt in and pulling them together, it boogers up the drive dogs on the converter and crushes the pump, you are lucks if that's all that gets hurt
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks for your help. I will take a look at rod bearings tomorrow. The are brand new im not sure what the issue would be. I will plastigauge them.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    you WILL destroy the tranny trying to draw it up to the engine with the converter bolted to the engine first, it's a bit of a pain sometimes installing the converter into the tranny with it sitting on the bench, theres too many things that need to spline together to get it right in one shot, as for your engine locking up id be looking at the rod bearings if that's where it started moving again, you may have one out of place
    +10

Don't ruin your transmission (or any other parts) trying to 1/2 ass it by cutting corners. I don't know if you have access to a lift, but it's super easy to install a tranny from below. It's not too bad putting the engine and tranny into the car at the same time if you have a lift, that's the easiest way. I have a cart set up just for putting engine/tranny into the car together from underneath. If you're using a crane to put it in from above, make sure you have whatever jack stands or ramps you're using high enough to clear the tail shaft when it goes in. You may find it super easy to install if you remove the crossmember and suspension arm first, I know I did.

Seriously though, if you've already tried to install your transmission onto your torque converter, you're probably looking at a trashed tranny.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast