GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Oilpan

Default New Oilpan

For the longest time I've had a very tiny hairline crack in my oilpan. as a result the car will leak oil acouple of drops every once in awhile. My question is how much is a new oilpan and where can I get one?
    Thanks
    -Mike
    -Mike

drain the oil and clean the pan to the point where you'd serve dinner on it, and seal it up with jb-weld, no fuss no muss fixed forever if cleaned/prepped properly
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Or have it welded for relatively cheap

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    drain the oil and clean the pan to the point where you'd serve dinner on it, and seal it up with jb-weld, no fuss no muss fixed forever if cleaned/prepped properly
    Ditto, JB Weld is great stuff. Use a stiff wire brush and acetone to clean it. You can remove the oil filler cap & duct tape a shop vac to the engine to keep the oil from seeping thru the crack while you're working on it. Don't seal the duct tape too tight, you don't need much vacuum at all. Use the regular JB Weld, the 4-minute JB Kwik isn't nearly as strong & is less heat resistant.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

How long does something like this usually take?
    -Mike

it's generally a good idea to let the epoxy cure overnight, draining the oil and cleaning maybe 15-30 minutes, couple minutes to mix and apply the jb and in the morning you could dump in your oil and drive to work, vs many hours to change the oil pan plus the cost of the pan, or the same many hours to pull the pan get it welded and reinstall
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

It's a crack. On something that holds all the oil in your engine. JB Weld may very well stop the leak, but it won't stop the crack from growing. Whatever caused it, heat causing expansion and contraction, vibration... all these things will make a crack walk open. JB Welding an oil pan is something to be done in case of emergency on the side of the road. Spend the time, drop the pan, have it welded or replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bin_jammin
    It's a crack. On something that holds all the oil in your engine. JB Weld may very well stop the leak, but it won't stop the crack from growing. Whatever caused it, heat causing expansion and contraction, vibration... all these things will make a crack walk open. JB Welding an oil pan is something to be done in case of emergency on the side of the road. Spend the time, drop the pan, have it welded or replaced.
    I will probably have it replaced once I get some more money
    -Mike

the thing with cracks in oil pans is they are caused by a outside influence, impact damage, i've been jb-welding pans for about 8 years now and have been selling pans for longer then that, i have yet to see one spontaneously crack

Quote Originally Posted by Bin_jammin

the thing with cracks in oil pans is they are caused by a outside influence, impact damage, i've been jb-welding pans for about 8 years now and have been selling pans for longer then that, i have yet to see one spontaneously crack
    I've seen spontaneous cracks before, in the sense that you have no idea why the metals cracked... no evidence of any impact of excessive heat... sometimes you can get a bad casting, but either way, the metal needs to be drilled and welded, not JB Welded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast