GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got rear ended - at the DRIVETHRU!

Default Just got rear ended - at the DRIVETHRU!

So I'm at McDonalds, at the drivethru. I just received my food, turned the car back on and released the parking brake, when I hear this engine roar behind me. Then BAM! Something slams into the back of my car and pushes me a good 25 feet before it stops! I roll the car out of the lane and the pickup that was behind me lurches past me to stop another 20 feet away! I am like W T F!!!!! I get out, and a bunch of people come over to see if I was ok. I am fine, I think, and I go around to the back of the car expecting a disaster. Somehow, the only damage seems to be a lot of scratches / gouges in the paint and the rear rubber strips. I get all his insurance info and am having an adjuster come next week. His explanation: "I don't know how it happened". Both our vehicles were stationary at a drive thru and apparently his truck just lept out of his control and slammed into mine.

Moral of the story: going to McDo to satisfy my junk food craving was a bad decision and this is my punishment.

Bonus: Will have a shiny, new painted bumper.

the big question is.

Did the morons at MCDs get your order right?

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    So I'm at McDonalds, at the drivethru. I just received my food, turned the car back on and released the parking brake, when I hear this engine roar behind me. Then BAM! Something slams into the back of my car and pushes me a good 25 feet before it stops! I roll the car out of the lane and the pickup that was behind me lurches past me to stop another 20 feet away! I am like W T F!!!!! I get out, and a bunch of people come over to see if I was ok. I am fine, I think, and I go around to the back of the car expecting a disaster. Somehow, the only damage seems to be a lot of scratches / gouges in the paint and the rear rubber strips. I get all his insurance info and am having an adjuster come next week. His explanation: "I don't know how it happened". Both our vehicles were stationary at a drive thru and apparently his truck just lept out of his control and slammed into mine.

Moral of the story: going to McDo to satisfy my junk food craving was a bad decision and this is my punishment.

Bonus: Will have a shiny, new painted bumper.
    Makes sense, instead of you being stationary and getting hit by a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed, which would have transfered all of its energy into the body of your car resulting in a crumple, it was a car that hit you at slow speed and accelerated you. The impact at that speed would have been super slow, even if it felt like getting hit by a tank. Good thing you're ok. Oddly, last night I drove by a McDonald's, and got stuck at a red light. A woman pulled out of the drive through, got behind me at the light. I was playing with my stereo waiting for the light to change, when she bumped me. I barely felt it, and thought it was something wrong with my car until I saw how close she was to me. I got out and told her I was going to call the cops.

She looked a bit relieved when I told her I was kidding. I picked up her Harley Davidson plate that had fallen off the front of her trucklet SUV thing and handed it to her and told her to be more careful, (with a wink)

I think it's all McDonald's fault.

I rear ended someone when I was 16 in a Wendy's drive through.

I was arguing with my passenger about how much room I had to the car in front. Me: "I've got like 8 inches, loook..." VROOM BUMP "****!".

The bitch in the car had the nerve to say I could have disturbed her kids in back. Who were all UNBUCKLED in the hatch area. Good thing it was a POS and she didn't make me pay for anything.

Ah those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bin_jammin
    Makes sense, instead of you being stationary and getting hit by a vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed, which would have transfered all of its energy into the body of your car resulting in a crumple, it was a car that hit you at slow speed and accelerated you. The impact at that speed would have been super slow, even if it felt like getting hit by a tank. Good thing you're ok.

yeah, the impact also cracked my anti photo radar plate cover I feel silly to make a 500 or 600 dollar paint claim, but since it won't affect my premiums (as it's non responsible, 1 claim doesn't have an impact) i feel like those insurance mofo's owe me one.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    the big question is.

Did the morons at MCDs get your order right?
    actually, yes, but, it was cold by the time i got to eat it.

It doesn't matter if it was your fault or not... insurance don't care.... that single incident makes you second class citizen... I am in the same freaking boat.

Now why was your engine off during drive thru?

Good thing you have an E34 that has shocks behind the rear bumper, and not some POS Hyundai with full plastic bumpers that reach the tail lights. You just have to graze those bumpers before they crumple up.

I have had accidents like this before, one time some stupid bitch in a Camry rear ended me in a car park as she was reversing out. Apparently she thought that you didn't have to look behind you when you're reversing out of a parking spot. Unfortunately she had a tow bar, which punched a nasty gouge in my rear bar, but was fixed and repainted through insurance.

The other time was some 19 year old hot but stupid girl in a Hyundai Excel that rear ended me while I was waiting at a red light -- apparently she got distracted with a flash from overhead wires for a street tram nearby. Just scratches on the rear bar and a scratch on the bootlid just above where it meets the rear bar, but her car was all crumpled up including the hood and lights either smashed up or hanging by its wires.

I'm hoping that next time I get rear-ended (knock on wood that I don't though) I get a new bar, I think the current one has done its job quite well.

Open the trunk and lift the mat that covers the spare tire. Look for wrinkling in the pan around the bumper shock area. This trunk floor pan is designed to wrinkle or crumple upon impact. The bumper shocks will handle 5mph bumps, after that, they compress and the trunk pan starts to crumple.

It might look like there is nothing wrong, but if the impact was over 5 mph, make sure they replace the bumper shocks, You might get another craving for Micky D's...

JR

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    It doesn't matter if it was your fault or not... insurance don't care.... that single incident makes you second class citizen... I am in the same freaking boat.

Now why was your engine off during drive thru?

actually, in Quebec, insurance does care if it's at fault or not, accident responsibility determines if you pay a deductible, if your premiums are affected, etc. Our insurance system is radically different than the american one.

But I share your fear re: insurance claims. I had someone hit my car last year, while I was stopped, and he made a claim that somehow ended up with me as responsible, and it's ****ed up my insurance rates. Insurance is a total racket. I am considering just paying this out of pocket rather than go through with the claim. I will see what the adjuster says and investigate the full extent of the damage. Thanks to everyone for the tip about checking my trunk pan, I will go do that right now.

My engine was off at the drive thru because why waste gas while I wait for my food?

I just went and checked - there is a radial rippling in the trunk pan all around the spare tire. It's not a deep rippling, and it's symmetrical - I don't know if this was there before the impact or not. Is this normal?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast