GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: My Tranny Issues - PLEASE CHECK ME OUT!!!

Default My Tranny Issues - PLEASE CHECK ME OUT!!!

So my tranny was seeming slipping but instead we discovered the computer was shifting it very, very late...

The tranny guys SnapOn computer showed its own "Code 54", basically the Neutral Safety Switch/Shift Selector.

So we hooked up the code reader, it also displays the current selection of the shifter...

So when we were driving at one point when the car was not performing correctly and shifting late, the reader displayed the car was in P or N when it was in D. Other times when it was working, the code reader displayed it was in a D position.

The weird thing is the dash shows the correction position, ALWAYS, and I'm not getting any type of trans program error. So what gives?

We thought that the selector sends its signal is 2 or so directions, splitting one to the dash readout, and another to the DME/tranny computer. It seemed logical that the signal to the DME/tranny computer was getting f'ed up.

But looking at the wiring diagrams, I can't figure out what it defines the switch as. (part # 25 16 1 219 149) On the diagrams it shows Automatic Transmission Range switch, but I don't know if thats what I'm looking for or if thats the A/M switch??

Based on figuring out the wiring diagrams, I can see even of this theory of ours is correct, or if the feed goes directly to the tranny computer (my suspicion based on what I've seen on the wiring diagrams so far).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! I don't have any transportation other than rides and the bus and I need the car back.

As a note, on Saturday I replaced the neutral safety switch, and the car worked perfectly over the weekend (though this has been an on and off problem, but I only have 1 more tow with AAA and it seems to be coming up more often. Thanks guys!!

I think I might be having a similar problem to yourself, sometimes my tranny 'sticks' in first or second gear when I go screaming off the line.

This is usually accompanied with a bout of angry-fit from the */E/S selector switch where I cant get the car to switch into S or * modes...

I think there's either a short in the loom somewhere and/or there's a problem inside the Auto ECU with a dry solder joint...

I might buy one of them there cheapo code readers off ebay with a convertor... I wonder if they can read live data off the Diesel ECU which was one of the most advanced ECUs fitted to the E34...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    I think I might be having a similar problem to yourself, sometimes my tranny 'sticks' in first or second gear when I go screaming off the line.

This is usually accompanied with a bout of angry-fit from the */E/S selector switch where I cant get the car to switch into S or * modes...

I think there's either a short in the loom somewhere and/or there's a problem inside the Auto ECU with a dry solder joint...

I might buy one of them there cheapo code readers off ebay with a convertor... I wonder if they can read live data off the Diesel ECU which was one of the most advanced ECUs fitted to the E34...?
    Well yea the code reader said its the NSS or the shifter position thingy...not the A/M...that debate was what the wiring digram says..

I sodered my LKM so maybe I should pull the tranny computer and check the joints? Is it easy to open or has nobody tried it?

bump