GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrgh! Radio power = 0, Amp power = 0

Default Arrgh! Radio power = 0, Amp power = 0

So I FINALLY get around to working on the new CD43.

Many thanks to Denny for sending me a stock amp.

I was able to connect all 24 some-odd wires at the amp end, splicing them one at a time. I hooked up the new CD43 up at the dash, so far so good.

Turn on the car, and no power to the amp, no power to the memory line on the CD43. Ignition line is fine (i.e., switched 12V works fine) but the constant 12v line is dead.

Anyone know where the fuse for this red/white for the stereo is? Also - how about the +12V to the amp?

I looked in Bentley, which directed me to the underneath of the rear seat, but all I see is a well-tied rat's nest of wires and a half dozen UN-NUMBERED fuses...

SO - any ideas on how to check why the 12V constant to the amp and to the radio are zero? Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Wiring diagrams are here: http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Default I don't think we have the same wiring but

maybe you want to hear about my nightmare aftermarket head unit install i just did.

the PO had totally botched a really, really ugly HU and messed up all the wiring. nothing worked and there were bare ends and spliced grounds everywhere. i found page 6500-0 from the previously mentioned post very helpful as the power lines are not colours that i expected.
    the constant wire to the HU is red/GREEN for me, and the remote power from the HU to the amp is white.... i'm pretty sure!
    i haven't seen a factory unit but on the diagram the leads from the HU don't match the leads in the dash so if you did a straight colour to colour join you might have a wrong connection there...
    maybe double-check the ground on the HU too?
    was your old stereo working?
    i'm guessing your problem is in your HU (not under your seat) because you need power there first for your amp to get a remote signal anyway.

in case anyone's interested-the next step for me is to bypass the amplifier in the factory amp and jack my outs straight into the crossover switches as per Anthony in Calgary's awesome instructions. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11484
    right now the blaupunkt is killing my already-amped signal.
    many thanks, man! i can't wait to hear my jvc!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    So I FINALLY get around to working on the new CD43.

Many thanks to Denny for sending me a stock amp.

I was able to connect all 24 some-odd wires at the amp end, splicing them one at a time. I hooked up the new CD43 up at the dash, so far so good.

Turn on the car, and no power to the amp, no power to the memory line on the CD43. Ignition line is fine (i.e., switched 12V works fine) but the constant 12v line is dead.

Anyone know where the fuse for this red/white for the stereo is? Also - how about the +12V to the amp?

I looked in Bentley, which directed me to the underneath of the rear seat, but all I see is a well-tied rat's nest of wires and a half dozen UN-NUMBERED fuses...

SO - any ideas on how to check why the 12V constant to the amp and to the radio are zero? Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

don't forget to check the ones under the hood too!

So am I a complete idiot... or do people just check every single fuse, and there isn't any mark to tell you which one is for the radio?

My fear is that maybe the PO pulled the fuse or for some reason that part is non-standard too due to someone customizing it. I'll definitely re-check them all, I'm hoping that is the issue.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    So am I a complete idiot... or do people just check every single fuse, and there isn't any mark to tell you which one is for the radio?

My fear is that maybe the PO pulled the fuse or for some reason that part is non-standard too due to someone customizing it. I'll definitely re-check them all, I'm hoping that is the issue.
    The radio will be on a fuse under-hood, and if you pull the lid off the fuse box there's a description of all the fuses on the underside of the lid

The biggest problem should be at the amp. Those wires that you spliced... some wires look so identical that it is easy to mix up... especially the wire for speakers and from the head unit. I know this because I converted back to stock setup and PO cut up all the wires... 10 speakers does not help... that's 20 splices for speakers alone and 8 wires from the head unit.. along with power wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    The biggest problem should be at the amp. Those wires that you spliced... some wires look so identical that it is easy to mix up... especially the wire for speakers and from the head unit. I know this because I converted back to stock setup and PO cut up all the wires... 10 speakers does not help... that's 20 splices for speakers alone and 8 wires from the head unit.. along with power wire.
    That part actually wasn't too bad, since I had a pigtail with the same twisted pairs, so once I found the pairs to connect to each other, the secondary stripe color was fairly obvious. That part was tedious though!

This image from the link in Dan's post is what I was looking for. Hopefully that will help find where the power is stopping...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    Wiring diagrams are here: http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW
    Thanks Dave - those ROCK. Now that's a wiring diagram! I no longer fear...
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    The radio will be on a fuse under-hood, and if you pull the lid off the fuse box there's a description of all the fuses on the underside of the lid
    Thanks ... Ahh yes, the sticker. Just found/checked that one, looks okay. The always-on one goes through the rear, Dave's post turned me on to the right place to look for that one.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast