GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A new Shift Knob

Default A new Shift Knob

Feels great, stays on the stick good and tight so far. Think i should shadowline the bottom piece?

1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Not bad
    -Mike

Thanks, should probably get some new wood trim .That surround is looking worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Thanks, should probably get some new wood trim .That surround is looking worn.
    Yeah mine is pretty worn too. Do you know where they're sold at a reasonable price?
    -Mike

Is the Momo shift knob weighted? You can get new wood console panels at:

www.carpartsdiscount.com

Their website only shows them in kits but if you call their 1-800 number they will sell just the console panel alone for about $75. This is their burled walnut (don't know if they offer other types of wood):

It has a fairly thick wood veneer (1/8"+) on an aluminum substrate, very similar to stock, with a thick urethane finish. I've had mine for over a year and it has held up very well in the sun/desert.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

if it's not all cracked up you can polish the console, mine looked like it had been hit with a da before i started

mild compound and wool bonnet on a rotary buffer, the burl consoles don't really crack and can be polished pretty good, the straight grain consoles tend to get small cracks in the surface, some sort of clear polyurethane to fill it in and give you a fresh wear surface would take care of most nastyness that can't be polished out
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Is the Momo shift knob weighted? You can get new wood console panels at:

www.carpartsdiscount.com

Their website only shows them in kits but if you call their 1-800 number they will sell just the console panel alone for about $75. This is their burled walnut (don't know if they offer other types of wood):

It has a fairly thick wood veneer (1/8"+) on an aluminum substrate, very similar to stock, with a thick urethane finish. I've had mine for over a year and it has held up very well in the sun/desert.
    No the MOMO Knob isn't weighted. I've never tried a weighted knob so i guess i don't know what I'm missing. I had considered a UUC Rob Knob in Stainless Steel which is real heavy but i figured that would work best with a short shift and i haven't put one in yet partly because i read they can actually be a stiffer throw than stock.

Always wanted to have a sheet of brushed alloy in place of that horrid fake wood stuff. Would look cool with the alloy and black E39 shifter.

Nothing's impossible . I'd like to have a slab of some stone there.Maybe polished Agate, Marble or Granite... Theres a Stone Artisan near me i bet could use the original and slice me up soemthing to work.I could adhear the plastic fittment parts from the bottom into notches in the stone with some epoxy and spap it in place. As long as it held up under cutting there's no pressure on it normally when installed and the extra weight shouldn't interfere with anything...