GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 530i doesnt start. HELP!

Default 530i doesnt start. HELP!

Hey whats up guys, I tried searching the forums and went to e34.net, but I still have a lot of question marks. My friend bought a 95 530i 5/speed while back, with my encouragement of course. And now the damn thing refuses to start anyway, Basically the car turnover but doesn't fire. What things should i check? Im thinking fuel pump, crank sensor, and iono what else. I know its not a heat soak problem. And i think the fuel pump is good, so is it the sensor? And if one of the coils goes out it will still start right? I hope you guys can help me out, cuz im in the dark at this point.
    Last edited by 94_e34_525i; 09-03-2007 at 01:16 PM.

EAT Chip/K&N Panel Filter/Blaupunkt MP46/JBL 15" sub/Crimestopper Alarm/e38 basketweaves/Deutschland Plate/Clear Corners

fuel pump relay?

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

If you lose one of the coils, the car should still start...

Is it just spinning on the starter or is it coughing and spluttering trying to start?

Does the fuel pump whine in the tank as you try to start the car? Check for wet plugs after a start attempt.

Have you checked whether you're getting ignition by pulling one of the coilpacks and putting a spare plug in it?

Finally, his keys havent suffered some trauma have they? They're coded keys after '92-'94 and you cant start the car without them, it'll happily turn over but wont even bother firing.

Test Crank Position Sensor and then replace.

if you hear the fuel pump in the trunk trying to work, try this.

hold the accelerator all the way down, and let turn over for about 10 seconds. i know it sounds like a lot, but if you hear the car trying to start, youll know you are on to something. once it starts, give it plenty of gas.

if you can't hear the fuel pump get someone to smack the hell out of the bottom of the tank while you crank it, this starts maybe 1/3-1/2 of the e32/34 tow in's at the shop
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Wow, thanks for all these suggestions, i still havent had time to check his car, im going off of what he told me so far. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks.

EAT Chip/K&N Panel Filter/Blaupunkt MP46/JBL 15" sub/Crimestopper Alarm/e38 basketweaves/Deutschland Plate/Clear Corners

Have you checked whether you're getting ignition by pulling one of the coilpacks and putting a spare plug in it?
    ummmm isnt that a lil dangerous i mean the coils produce around 20k volts right? but i will try it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 94_e34_525i
    ummmm isnt that a lil dangerous i mean the coils produce around 20k volts right? but i will try it anyway.
    It's not dangerous if you arrange the coil pack and the threaded portion of the plug so that they're both properly grounded on the valve cover, and then keep your hands off it. I'd worry more about poor grounding damaging the ECU on this sort of thing, then getting zapped by the high voltage. It'll make you jump, but won't kill you unless you've got a pacemaker or you've cleverly run the current through your heart or brain.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

I see, there must be a safer way cant i just disconnect the connector and check it with a multimeter? And lets say there is no power to the coils what causes that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast