GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 525TDs Manual Conversion? Yes or No?

Default 525TDs Manual Conversion? Yes or No?

Okay, so I'm getting fed up with the crappy fuel economy of the auto box around town, which is keeping the engine constantly on the turbo rev range.

I've spotted this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=150156404561

The E36 was fitted with the same 260/Z unit as the 525tds - and at £45 for a box I'm ready to snatch the guys arm off.

If he comes back and confirms the 260z tag I might just buy it anyways.

Hopefully this is where Barney becomes helpful and lets me buy the clutch pedal bits off his parts 535i

I'd need to yank a propshaft off a 525i manual and find a flywheel and clutch kit.

Do we think this is too much damned effort or do I go for it? It'll take me a while to get this sorted as I've gotta shell out for all new rear suspension this month then two tyres, but that gearbox seems to be a steal...

You know what everyone (apart from my fellow E34ers) said I was nuts for wanting to spend all that money and convert my car to a manual. well It's being done anyway. I'd say go for it. Autos suck
    -Mike

Default Go manual?

Had the same thoughts when my 5HP 18 gave up the ghost. I did a quick back of the fag packet calculation on what it would cost for a new clutch, a flywheel and prop, pedal box etc against a good used auto. The auto won hands down and was a straight replacement. The deciding factor was that I drive trucks for a living these days and when I'm not working I want an easy drive. Just did Manchester to Stonehenge and back and averaged 28mpg but round town I dont like to check the OBC . But its fairly quick - my partner refuses to put it in 's' and hit the kickdown You either want an auto or you dont - I can imagine you being pretty pissed off if you put in another auto and wish you hadnt. Be interested to know the outcome
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

When the auto transmission in my 525i died, a friend sent me a link to a guy who was parting out an e36 -- the thought being to get all the related bits from a donor car. But the 525i is momma's car and she didn't want to mess around with a conversion or the time the car would be down, so the slush box went back in.

Best turn up with the spanners and get to work! If you bring a pavement cutter then you can get it out the quick way. You will need to get a move on,why not take the whole thing, then all you will need is a flywheel?

Just re-read your post,ashore next weekend so come and get all you want. going to breaker soon after,rear suspension/shocks good.