GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel decomposing on a '95...

TC535i Guest

Default Steering wheel decomposing on a '95...

Need to get a new wheel, the leather has worn thru to some kind of crumbly rubber underneath. I have a 95 with the colored roundel on the airbag cover, can I get basically any wheel out of, say, an E36, and just swap the outside ring, reinstall my airbag, and be good to go? I know the early E34's have the E30 hub, but I don't know if there's any difference between the wheels with colored roundel airbags vs. black vinyl airbags.

Anybody know?

there are differences in the wiring... I tried putting a 95 steering wheel in my 94... the wiring is slightly different... you may be able to change connectors and make it work.. post about it if you do!

evan
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

I have an extra steering wheel for my 89, not sure if it will fit yours, and the airbag connector is melted, so you would have to swap them out, and the leather is a little worn (but not too bad) but if you want it, $20+shipping and its yours

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    there are differences in the wiring... I tried putting a 95 steering wheel in my 94... the wiring is slightly different... you may be able to change connectors and make it work.. post about it if you do!

evan
    Never taken it apart, is the wiring part of the airbag? I could re-use my airbag and just change out the "outside" ring, which is what I was planning on doing.

Does using my own airbag avoid the connector issue? Can I swap my airbag into any E36/late E34 wheel?

I'm heading to a junkyard this weekend.. apparently there are several e34's there. Want me to see if there are any good condition (1995) wheels?

I have an very very good condition 95 airbag wheel with the colored center and the airbag intact never been used
    -Mike

TC535i Guest

Guys... I don't really want to spend $$$ on a wheel + airbag when I can just change the ring out

If there's any really cheap ones at the yard I'd appreciate it, if they'd sell it without the airbag (usually the most expensive part of the wheel...) I'd prefer that... AKA a wreck where the bag deployed but the wheel's still good.

Anybody know if I can JUST change out the ring?

yes thats all you need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by TC535i

Anybody know if I can JUST change out the ring?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

again, no you cannot... the connectors are slightly different..

i think the airbag connector is the same... get your wrench out and compare
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

I reread this and yes you can reuse your original airbag.. that's what you mean, right?

EDIT: the wheel you buy must be a 95... they changed slightly from 94-95 model years...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast