GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the intake gaskets done, now another problem

Default Got the intake gaskets done, now another problem

Ok, I got my intake gaskets, pcv, water pump, and belts done this weekend. Unforunately next weekend I have to pull off the intake again because there is an air leak and I simply dont have time to pull it tonight as I need my car tomorrow. What a difference, no more annoying noise, which was caused by a hole in the vacuum hose on the pcv that connects to the fuel rail...$465 to fix a $2.00 part, nice. Anyway, now I have another problem. ASC and ABS are now screwed up somehow. I have a feeling that it has either something to do with the vacuum leak at the intake or a problem with the throttle sensor. Carsoft says Throttle Valve Signal but I dont know what that means. I am not sure if it is the sensor just before the bend on the throttle body or the one lower towards the end at the intake. I don't have the slightest idea where to start troubleshooting this so any input is appreciated. I have pics of the whole job so if anyone is interested I'll throw em up sometime this week.

-Patrick

you probably mixed up the wires at the throttle body, theres 3 3 wire plugs with in a couple inches and they will cross plug, the gray one goes to the icv, the one with a clip goes to the main throttle position switch, the other black one without a protruding clip goes to the traction control position switch
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

lol been there done that... quite annoying that they all interchange

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    you probably mixed up the wires at the throttle body, theres 3 3 wire plugs with in a couple inches and they will cross plug, the gray one goes to the icv, the one with a clip goes to the main throttle position switch, the other black one without a protruding clip goes to the traction control position switch
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I know I have the gray clip in correctly, but both of the black connectors have clips. One of them seems to be a spring loaded clip that I have plugged in at the bottom close to the manifold. The clip on the other connector is one you have to pry out with a screw driver to get loose. If you could, please clarify which is the main throttle position switch and which is the traction control position switch. When I get a chance I'll go switch them and see if it fixes the problem.

winfred & jeff hit it on the head... you just have the wires crossed

there is a plug that you place on the PCV plate (on the driver's side of the plate)

did you put it there?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Are you talking about the big rubber plug that would be on the new pcv and not the old and the smaller rubber plug that goes just above that, opposite of where the s-tube connects to the fuel rail? If so, yes, I got the big plug but am re-using the smaller one from the old pcv as I didn't know I needed it.

BTW, I just looked on realoem and both sensors are called Throttle Valve Switches.

<start unrelated information>
    I was just thinking at lunch how it would be nice if when they engineered the intake they had slotted the head so the gaskets fit in there instead of trying to lower the intake manifold with the gaskets on it and hoping that they dont fall off. What gets me is that we had to lift the manifold back up because the front right gasket fell off but it still isnt sealing. Oh well, live and learn.

My dad and I didn't do such a bad job for just printing out some instructions and various diagrams and jumping right in. It is tedious work and takes some patience due to everything being in there so tight, especially those injector harnesses, there is not a lot of play in those which makes it a pain. One thing we should have done is just replace the ac compressor while everything was apart, it is the next thing to go. Probably shoulda ponied up and bought all 4 knock sensors too, the rubber is cracking around all of them where they bolt on. Another tight spot was the bottom water pump bolt. The damn thing is right behind the flywheel making it quite difficult to get a wrench on it to get it off, and even harder to get back in the hole.

All in all I am glad we did this job though. I am not particularly mechanically inclined when it comes to working on cars but am really interested in how it all works and how everything goes together. There is no way we could have done the job without all of your help, experience, and devotion of time to writeup the instrucions.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    winfred & jeff hit it on the head... you just have the wires crossed

there is a plug that you place on the PCV plate (on the driver's side of the plate)

did you put it there?

the plug with the pry out clip goes on the tps closest to the airfilter, thats the traction control butterfly
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

IT sounds like you did a good job.

On the intake gaskets -- use something sticky (silicone.. hylomar... something that won't harm the gasket) to hold them in place so that they don't fall out when you're lowering the manifold...

The bottom water pump bolt is behind the vibration damper... you can get to it with a small 10mm box end wrench.. it takes a little time and effort but it isn't so bad

The knock sensors are expensive.. either reinsulate them yourself or take them to an electronics shop and have them done there...

Are you positive one of the intake gaskets isn't twisted and causing the vacuum leak?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Evan
    ...Are you positive one of the intake gaskets isn't twisted and causing the vacuum leak?
    Twisted in the middle between the two ovals? I am almost positive they are not twisted as when it fell off I stuck my hand under the intake and placed it back on. I thought I put it back on properly but anything is possible.

One thing I couldn't find a definitive answer on was the torque value for the manifold. The number I found was 11±1 ft/lb. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the plug with the pry out clip goes on the tps closest to the airfilter, thats the traction control butterfly
    Ok, you just confirmed that I have them plugged in correctly. I suppose the next thing to do is see if there is power to that connector, hopefully there is as I don't even want to think how hard that would be to replace. If there is power I guess the next thing to do would be to replace that sensor?

give me your email address and ill send you the Bentley manual in pdf format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast