GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other plugs or ways to connect Foglamp wires?

Default Any other plugs or ways to connect Foglamp wires?

My foglamp plug wires are frayed and useless. I tried two junk yards and got one plug in the same condition. I checked electric suppliers for like a butt connector i could crimp and slip over the terminals but the gages are either too large or small. If i can't find another Fog Lamp plug in good shape am i going to have to solder the bare wires right to the terminals? The whole front lighting harness is over $2K new from BMW
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

look on real oem there are the correct connectors, BUT the plastic little deals dont work perfect. Let me find a link... man i cant, not even in the archives.
    Sorry

Bet you denny g would sell you a couple, he has 2 cars for parts in the classifieds.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

thanks,i'll checkhimout........

dealer has them, no idea how much it costs. i got it for free. :-D

No i didnt steal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    My foglamp plug wires are frayed and useless. I tried two junk yards and got one plug in the same condition. I checked electric suppliers for like a butt connector i could crimp and slip over the terminals but the gages are either too large or small. If i can't find another Fog Lamp plug in good shape am i going to have to solder the bare wires right to the terminals? The whole front lighting harness is over $2K new from BMW

Seriously dude, it's called a soldering iron. Or, if you're not very good with the iron, they make a really awesome connector. It's a shrink-wrap, crimp, solder butt connector. I'm not making this up. You crimp it, then heat it with a hot air gun (or maybe a hair dryer, never tried one) Once it's hot, the shrink tube will shrink, making it water tight, and the solder in the crimp connector will flow, giving you a solid electrical connection. These things are usually a dollar or two a piece, and any NAPA or other parts jobber should have them.

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535
    dealer has them, no idea how much it costs. i got it for free. :-D

No i didnt steal it.
    drug dealer? The local BMW Dealership said no dice. Real OEM does show a part for the fog lamp wires at $107.00... I am looking into the idea suggested above and if that's a no-go will look into the one below.

Quote Originally Posted by Bin_jammin
    It's a shrink-wrap, crimp, solder butt connector. I'm not making this up. You crimp it, then heat it with a hot air gun (or maybe a hair dryer, never tried one) Once it's hot, the shrink tube will shrink, making it water tight, and the solder in the crimp connector will flow, giving you a solid electrical connection.
    I've seen these, thing is you need to get it hot enough to melt the solder so you could end up melting the plastic where the plug would normally fit.

Personally, if you can't get the plugs, I'd solder the cable and then cover with heatshrink tubing. Pretty much as using the same as the connector mentioned above but you wouldn't need to have the terminal too hot for quite so long and risk melting the plastic. If you're still worried about water getting in there you could seal it with some silicone...

I think this is a bit of a stupid place to use a plug - one of mine got water in and corroded up, after cleaning and putting them back together I used silicone to seal it up - did the other one at the same time..

Who do I love Most - Wife, Kids or Car...
    Wife's always moaning, Kids always yelling...
    OK - The Car Wins!!

Quote Originally Posted by g7syw
    I've seen these, thing is you need to get it hot enough to melt the solder so you could end up melting the plastic where the plug would normally fit.

Personally, if you can't get the plugs, I'd solder the cable and then cover with heatshrink tubing. Pretty much as using the same as the connector mentioned above but you wouldn't need to have the terminal too hot for quite so long and risk melting the plastic. If you're still worried about water getting in there you could seal it with some silicone...

I think this is a bit of a stupid place to use a plug - one of mine got water in and corroded up, after cleaning and putting them back together I used silicone to seal it up - did the other one at the same time..
    Well evidently care was not taken to satisfy owners many years out after new. Can't blame them really and I've been thinking about modifying my Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD Player which will require soldering equipment so this may help me start that.

Go to the dealer and buy this. 61 13 0 007 442. It's the connector with a short lead you can splice into your harness.
    ~ $3 a throw, no muss, no fuss.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

BavAuto has them for a few bucks. You need the wire ends.. which comes with the wire lol... then you need the connector. The connector is just a holder for the lead and ends. Don't bother scrimping.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast