GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol injection complete - awesome awesome awesome

Default Alcohol injection complete - awesome awesome awesome

So today my friend Jay and I worked from about 930 - 5 and got a TON of **** done. I did a lot of powder coating for **** other than the car (amplifer for the car, desktop PC tower case for the house), powdercoated the charge pipes wrinkle black and plumbed and wired the methanol injection and its now complete.

I got on the highway going home from Jays (about 1hr or about) and started logged. Car felt notably stronger which was a good kick in the pants. If you want to know my opinion.... this **** is freaking ridiculous!

My intake temps go like 8 degrees under ambient and then climb only to... 90 - 92 max! Not that my IATs were very high to begin with, but I the datalog I have here is about 35 minutes into driving, having hit traffic on PA turn pike, getting back up to speed and then ripping on it.

Few things to note - the AFR are definitely rich. I am running about 60% methanol. I went from being about 11.5 - 11.6:1 AFR on 93 octane fuel. Now when I go wide open over 5 psi I am about 10.2 - 10.5:1 AFR. That confirms my ~60% methanol estimation because 50% methanol yields a 0.5:1 AFR change. I am running the 475 rwhp jet and have the 600 rwhp jet on hand. Once I add the nitrous, I may swap in a 250 rwhp jet for water and keep the 475 rwhp jet, as this will make for nice atomization of the alcohol/water in the cooler pipe as well as add enough fuel/water/alcohol to handle everything.

Now the cool(er) part!

I tried out antilag in boredom to see what the methanol kit would do as boost built in neutral. Here you see antilag from about 4100 RPM. What you see is a SUDDEN metering of 198 kpa (14.2 psi) in NEUTRAL. Just like if I had sitting at a light, rev'd up to 4100 and pressed antilag. This is freaking amazing - I previously could only make about 6 - 8 psi with antilag on this large turbo. You can see in the datalog that I dumped the clutch and went with it in 4th gear - it was a nice rush.

I really recommend this **** to everyone boosting their car. If you are on a chip tune, that sort of sucks because you will NEED to pull fuel or you'll be rich. Everyone else, this stuff is CHEAP, fun, and damned effective!
    Last edited by Jon K; 08-27-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Great news there Jon. I want to do this to my Syclone first,then the 5 whens its boosted and MS'ed.
    Amazing how well alky can cool things down.
    Cheers,Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Yeah vinny I am really pumped (no pun intended)! I love driving the car that much more. I really need to crank the timing up and have at it. This weekend comes nitrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Yeah vinny I am really pumped (no pun intended)! I love driving the car that much more. I really need to crank the timing up and have at it. This weekend comes nitrous.
    I wish like heck you'd dyno at the current set up. I really want to know where it sits for my own selfish goals!
    The Nitros will be staged I guess ??
    Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Quote Originally Posted by Booster
    I wish like heck you'd dyno at the current set up. I really want to know where it sits for my own selfish goals!
    The Nitros will be staged I guess ??
    Vinny
    Nah just a single 50 shot. Its going to spool my turbo instantly, so I will be spraying from 3,000 rpm til about 5200 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Nah just a single 50 shot. Its going to spool my turbo instantly, so I will be spraying from 3,000 rpm til about 5200 rpm.
    Nice.No lag shot.
    Schwarz on Blk

Yep Later I may stage another 50 hp or so, but for now, I want to start small.

why didn't you get megasquirt to control the water injection? I think I asked you this in another thread, but didn't remember the reply.

Will you give me a ride if we ever meet? Seriously.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    why didn't you get megasquirt to control the water injection? I think I asked you this in another thread, but didn't remember the reply.
    Because the MS requires a PWM controllable valve, not a pump and solenoid. So what happens with MS is you turn the pump on and you PWM modulate the valve. With the Snow kit, you pwm modulate the pump, and there is no valve, just a solenoid and a nozzle.

This is far cheaper - Snow Stage 2 with the larger tank and upgraded solenoid was $505 with local tax (bought it locally!). The Aquamist nozzle, the one needed in order for mS to control it, is $255 alone... and I still have to add $60 for a tank, $100 in fittings and nozzles, lines, and about $150 for a pump. Then, I have to figure out how to control it.

It's simple with the stage 2 kit. I set the "on" psi and the "max" psi and it controls it between those two points smoothly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast