GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: CEL / dashboard display

Default CEL / dashboard display

I just took the dashboard off to replace what I thought would be burned-out bulbs but the plugs themselves are missing! I guess I'm off to the dealer to get some plugs but before I do I'm hoping you could help tell me what I'm missing...

My main intent was to get the check engine light working (I borrowed the fog-light plug just for now). Now that it does, I can't figure out the stomp test... I've gone through all the old threads and pretty much hammered away every way I can think of. (so much that my neighbour came out and told me 'it's never going to start if the starter motor isn't turning' lol) 5 stomps, ten stomps, slow stomps, fast, short, long, hard, soft, whatever the blasted thing just stays lit. There is also an annoying long chime after I have pulled the key, but I think that's because I pulled the oil pressure light plug.

The other (less serious) problem is that the readout display, odometer, and gear dispay are extremely dim... i can't figure out where the light is supposed to come from... can you tell me what (A) and (B) are, and since we're at it, which sensor (C) is? Thanks so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

There's nothing missing but the bulb itself.
    They come in one piece with the "plug".

As a suggestion, put a flash light through the holes to see what comes on.

"B" points to a lever that closes the cluster. "Aus" means opened, and "Zu" means closed.

Don't know about "C", sorry.
    Last edited by BMWDriver; 08-20-2007 at 01:00 PM.

I think the faint display means the thing's not all the way in. I currently have that problem on mine on part of it, because it's a little skewed in place.

Default reason for faint display

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver
    I think the faint display means the thing's not all the way in. I currently have that problem on mine on part of it, because it's a little skewed in place.
    the bulbs are the same for the display... in the older displays the bulbs for the led are inside the dashboard... you have to open it up as if you were replacing the capacitors - explained here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...capacitors.htm

i originally went in there because the haynes manual (still waiting for the bentley to ship! aaargh!) says there are batteries that will fail and i thought that was why i wasn't getting engine codes. i couldn't find any batteries in there though, and neither could my neighborhood electrician.

changed the bulbs and the readout looks like new at least.

still can't get my engine codes though .... i think maybe my kickdown switch underneath the accelerator is busted or jammed and maybe that is the problem. i'm going to have to replace the pedal too if i keep on kicking it like i have been.

sorry for reopening such a trivial post... i'm getting better at searching the threads now, thanks for your patience all.

I've got the same problem, sorta. I've replaced my 179 ecu with a 150. Now my stomp gives me a code which makes no sense. Stomp (x5) and the CEL flashes once, then flashes again, then just stays on. I'd switch ecu's back, but it's two states away .

I stand corrected. Actually makes more sense too. I was under the impression the LEDs were self-lit. Then again, this is 90's technology.