GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Pitman arms, What do they do?

Default Rear Pitman arms, What do they do?

Been getting back into suspension again, after not really reading anything about it for a while technically (used to do a bit for Formula SAE when i was at uni)
    now i've been trying to work out what the purpose of the rear pitman arms. are they to reduce compliance steer (toe in/out due to deformation of the trailing arm bushes) during acceleration/deceleration? (which is a problem with trailing arm suspension) and that strange link (no.10 in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=33&fg=30)that seems to only attach to one rear pitman arm on one side. Is that to ensure the subframe doesn't move sideways too much?
    Last edited by rob101; 08-19-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

I hope they do something as i've just forked out a few £ and a tuesday morning fixing them!!!!!

Nice job to do, and the new ones seem to have stopped clunking noises that were coming from the rear end. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread... you saved me a job posting this. Cheers.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Take a look at the video that Don made http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34598

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    Been getting back into suspension again, after not really reading anything about it for a while technically (used to do a bit for Formula SAE when i was at uni)
    now i've been trying to work out what the purpose of the rear pitman arms. are they to reduce compliance steer (toe in/out due to deformation of the trailing arm bushes) during acceleration/deceleration? (which is a problem with trailing arm suspension) and that strange link (no.10 in this diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=33&fg=30)that seems to only attach to one rear pitman arm on one side. Is that to ensure the subframe doesn't move sideways too much?
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport
    I hope they do something as i've just forked out a few £ and a tuesday morning fixing them!!!!!

Nice job to do, and the new ones seem to have stopped clunking noises that were coming from the rear end. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread... you saved me a job posting this. Cheers.
    Well I know they do something, of course in the context of the handling they brought them in the e28s which seemed to eliminate the turn in oversteer that was present in the e12 (or so i've heard). This seems to agree with what i was reading about semi-trailing arm suspension tending to toe out on braking/deceleration (because of bushing compliance) which causes oversteer (typical throttle lift off or underbraking before corner entry).
    but that still doesn't tell me what the hell is that link that goes from one side of the dogbones to somewhere in the back as referred to in my original post.
    Last edited by rob101; 08-21-2007 at 05:48 PM.

but that still doesn't tell me what the hell is that link that goes from one side of the dogbones to somewhere in the back as referred to in my original post.
    it's only on one side isn't it? maybe it's something to do with the direction of the rotation of the diff, to counteract it or something? I'm waiting on a set of them to come over from BMA. I'm in brisbane too, never seen you around though...
    Last edited by Rory535i; 08-22-2007 at 03:19 AM.

Who knows what item 10 does? I don't know. it just gets in the way. Bill R would know for sure, or Winfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory535i
    it's only on one side isn't it? maybe it's something to do with the direction of the rotation of the diff, to counteract it or something? I'm waiting on a set of them to come over from BMA. I'm in brisbane too, never seen you around though...
    yeah its only on one side, i was thinking along the lines of engine torque as you mentioned. my car doesn't get out much anymore haven't seen yours either looks very nice though!

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Who knows what item 10 does? I don't know. it just gets in the way. Bill R would know for sure, or Winfred.

i am not so sure about that, tracklink article there. i can't really see how it reduces the pivot angle and thus the increases the Virtual swing axle length of the trailing arm. since it is so close to the trailing arm bush, it shouldn't affect the range of motion of the trailing arm, because nearest the bushes is the part of the arm that moves the least and also the arm is very short. If you wanted to decrease the compliance in the toe in/out axis of rotation of the suspension without affecting the original range of motion of the trailing arm you'd put a short link there. If you wanted to reduce the pivot angle, you would do so by moving the trailing arm bushes. (I am assuming the pivot angle is the angle that the trailing arm mounts make with the lateral axis.)
    correct me if i am wrong, but the only reason i can see is to increase stiffness to toe in/out on acceleration and deceleration. I can't really see it as being anti-dive/squat either. where did that article come from?

I know there are some brilliant minds here, I just want to start a discussion, seems like most people here aren't all that interested so far.....
    Last edited by rob101; 08-22-2007 at 07:06 PM.

#10 is a torque strap between the front part of the sub frame and the left side of the diff carrier.

It's not on the trailing arm, but bolted on the sub frame side of the dogbone.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

It's from Bill R.

i am not so sure about that, tracklink article there. i can't really see how it reduces the pivot angle and thus the increases the Virtual swing axle length of the trailing arm. since it is so close to the trailing arm bush, it shouldn't affect the range of motion of the trailing arm, because nearest the bushes is the part of the arm that moves the least and also the arm is very short. If you wanted to decrease the compliance in the toe in/out axis of rotation of the suspension without affecting the original range of motion of the trailing arm you'd put a short link there. If you wanted to reduce the pivot angle, you would do so by moving the trailing arm bushes. (I am assuming the pivot angle is the angle that the trailing arm mounts make with the lateral axis.)
    correct me if i am wrong, but the only reason i can see is to increase stiffness to toe in/out on acceleration and deceleration. I can't really see it as being anti-dive/squat either. where did that article come from?

I know there are some brilliant minds here, I just want to start a discussion, seems like most people here aren't all that interested so far.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast