GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M50 / M52 Swap?

Default M50 / M52 Swap?

Hi Guys,
    I know I haven't been around a while but am still into the Bimmer sickness.

I recently aquired a '93, 525 Sport (5-speed) and was curious if the 2.8 liter from my '98, 328 would swap in "bolt for bolt"?

Would I be correct in assuming that the main ECU would have to be changed as well or would the existing be sufficient.

I really haven't seen anything addressing this swap in my searches hence these questions.

Thanks, DJ

P.S And yes it's getting lowered!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

The oil pans will not match, so will the harnesses and the computer modules - 2.8 has the OBDII system as opposed to the OBDI on the 525. Why would you want to swap the motor from the 328is? Its a fine car. Is it crashed?

-Artem

Looks just fine to me..
    Nice car, quite clean. It looks like it has already been reasonably lowered.
    I am just not cool I guess. And I can't be assed to crawl over every speed bump, Not to mention I like to be able to get it on ramps every now and then.
    Yes you will have a long road to travel with that swap from what I have read.
    Best a' luck
    Regards
    Ron

^^^????? Long road to travel for the swap?????? They are essentially the same motor AND he aready has all of the OBDI parts on his oem motor to boot, AND it is already a 5spd (when I do mine I'll have to do a auto-to-manual swap in the process). As for the computer I'm fairly sure that a EWS delete chip will solve his other problems.

To the OP skip the m52 and just get an s52 3.2l, they can be had for about $3k, and with the OBDI conversion you will have about 240whp, opposed ot 240fwhp, m52 you will still be about the same as before (189hp). Look on www.bimmerforums.com for Mr. Projects s52 swap 525it. (Mods sorry if cross posting of forums in not aloud)

Quote Originally Posted by Herb
    To the OP skip the m52 and just get an s52 3.2l, they can be had for about $3k, and with the OBDI conversion you will have about 240whp, opposed ot 240fwhp, m52 you will still be about the same as before (189hp). Look on www.bimmerforums.com for Mr. Projects s52 swap 525it. (Mods sorry if cross posting of forums in not aloud)
    I agree. Not much change putting the M52 in the E34. I installed a S52 in my 525iT and it was quite an improvement. Paid $3k for the 96 S52 engine with less than 50k miles on it.

Paul L

M52 is perhaps the BEST engine BMW made with the non vanos right behind, IMO.

M52 has forged crank and rods. 84mm bore makes it great for boost and the longer stroke helps with some off-boost torque. If I didn't have my Non Vanos, I would be looking at M52 swaps. There are also some interesting combinations you can do regarding s50/52 rods and crank etc to get a 2.9 - 3.0L stroker

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul
    I agree. Not much change putting the M52 in the E34. I installed a S52 in my 525iT and it was quite an improvement. Paid $3k for the 96 S52 engine with less than 50k miles on it.

Paul L
    I stand corrected. I assumed joining a 98 to 93 would have electircal hurdles
    Not having done it I am not surprised I was wrong. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ironie
    I stand corrected. I assumed joining a 98 to 93 would have electircal hurdles
    Not having done it I am not surprised I was wrong. Sorry

Just need to do an OBD1 conversion. Its fairly simple, but if you are absolutely turned off on it, there are companies that make "kits".

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Just need to do an OBD1 conversion. Its fairly simple, but if you are absolutely turned off on it, there are companies that make "kits".
    Thanks Jon. I will keep that in mind as I go hunting for a engine to build for a reasonable price. I also wasn't aware that BMW made any none VANOS engines after 92. VANOS doesn't trip my trigger. I was hot for that M5 I found but it isn't a good daily driver.
    and as money already has gone into this body I am thinking of finding something with a bit more Umphf, that won't drain tha gas tank dry in my many long waits in traffic. You are a source of many insprations here.
    Thanks. Keep up the good work. Maybe if I had a place to powder coat everthing I would too. But I am partial to flat black.
    Regards
    Ron
    Last edited by ironie; 08-19-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Ron,
    You are not as wrong as my post implied, I reread it was a little harsh (not my intention), if the e34 is m20 equiped it is more of a hassle and has many electrical hurdles.
    Herbert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast