GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help please? New creaking from front end...

Default Help please? New creaking from front end...

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on the board. I've been super busy. Changing jobs. Had company for over a month.

Anyway, I've developed a creak or groan in the front suspension of my '95 525i. It's on the right side. It starts once I've turned the wheel about one full turn clockwise. Most noticable when pulling into a parking space. It continues if I keep turning the wheel further. When I straighten the wheel I hear more of a metal on rubber kind of squeek - not the same creaking.

The front shocks, springs, upper control arms, strut bearings, spring seats are all new within the past year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Chris I.
    Clearwater, FL

Have you checked the powersteering fluid level. The power steering can groan/moan if there is air trapped or if the fluid level is low. The squealing may be on of the belts slipping a little.
    Brandon J

Default Yep. Fluid is fine...

I'll keep looking around under there. It's slowly getting worse so it'll get fixed one way or another.

Thanks for the posting, though!

Chris I.

Idler arm bushing or joint? That's on the right side....not sure if it would creak, but I imagine it's possible.

I've got a joint in the center link that's bad and it clunks very fast when I'm parking or navigating at high steering angles and low speeds. To find it I drove it up on ramps and had my wife gently rock the steering wheel back and forth (very little) while I held the various joints and felt for slop. Might be a good way to check for your noise, too.