GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: key problem... i'm terrified

Default key problem... i'm terrified

just recently bought an '89 525... i have taken bones' advice (thankyou) to heart and ordered a spare key from the $dealer, but i have a problem and it's scaring the hell out of me.

i think the ignition cylinder has been rekeyed as i have two seperate keys... one works on the doors, trunk, and glovebox; the other only turns the ignition.

here's the problem: when i have the negative battery cable disconnected, the door key will lock manually, but not unlock... it doesn't turn the other way at all, same on both doors. i am soooo glad i didn't close the hood before realizing this.

are these locks known for sticking? somehow i doubt it, and there is hardly any rust on the car. i'm hoping maybe i have a bad copy and the new one will work, otherwise, i think it's only a matter of time before i'm in deep trouble...

What you have there is the valet key. It has been designed so that the valet who is parking your car at your fancy restaurant/hotel may not open the trunk, etc. keeping your precious diamonds safe.

Don't mind the humour, because it is true. I have my manual at home, and that key is thus. It is strange to me that you would not be able to re-open the door though... but I haven't used that key even if I have it.

Default Locked out?

If you have a search around you will find a lot of info about this. But put briefly it amounts to this: If your battery goes flat you wont be able to get in your car. There is a procedure for opening the doors manually but it probably wont work. The boot lid will unlock manually so I think a lot of people run a + and - line back into the boot so they can supply power that way. What you DONT want to do is disconnect the battery then close the doors manually. My experience is that even if you are providing a seperate power source the original battery still has to be connected or you still cant get in. Yes I know it doesnt make sense electrically but there you go
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)