GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT:X5 Oil Consumption

Default OT:X5 Oil Consumption

My father called me this morning. Recently his 2001 X5 (3.0L M54) has been using oil. About a month ago, the dash board oil light came on. He checked the oil and added a quart to bring it back up to level on the dipstick. Since then he has put another 1200 miles on the car. He checked the dipstick and again found it to be low -No oil light this time. It to another quart to bring it back to level. This doesn't seem normal to me.

He's got another month left on the warranty and wants to have this addressed, but is expecting problems from the dealer. Any thoughts, recommendations?

I know with my '99 Jetta the dealer would have wanted to do a 1000 mile oil consumption test.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

No, it is not normal and get the dealer involved... be adamant about it... say it started only a month ago and things are getting worse. They probably will do a leakdown test... compression test to determine if engine is out of spec. I am assuming your dad always had the dealer service the car since it is under extended warranty... so your dad should have a good relationship with them...

Tell them they are the only one servicing the car and has record for 6 years.

Do not wait anymore. Get it done.

Agree with Tiger. This may turn out as just a leak. Keep us posted please. I'm very curious to see how this is handled.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

The whole forum will be watching. M54`s do not have a good reputation in Europe, not a Nikasil problem but there would appear to be problems that, like nikasil saga, BMW do not want publicised until they have a fix...............

Hmmm, M54 oil usage? I know it's not normal. My wife's '01 525 has about 134,000 miles on it now and doesn't use a drop between 6k mile oil changes.

Something is wrong here, you would be wise to follow Tiger's advice as soon as possible. This is the first I've heard of trouble with an M54.

Thanks for the response. He will be taking it to the dealership. I'll report back what happens.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

Its not normal, but I've seen the question pop up quite a few times on the E46 boards (for 330i and 330Ci owners that have oil consumption).

BMW's first solution is probably going to be to replace the oil separator (similar to a PCV system). Apparently this is one cause, and there are a few others which I don't remember off the top of my head.

But yes, while not normal, its not uncommon.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC