GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Engine suddenly running cooler?

Default Engine suddenly running cooler?

Hello everyone,

As the title states, my engine has suddenly decided to run a bit cooler than normal. Ambient temperature is about 100 degrees, and even in traffic, the gauge does not reach the 1/2 way mark as it used to before. I've also noticed that the fan doesn't engage as much as it used to, even in traffic. During warm up the gauge indicates a pretty normal temperature increase from cold to about the 1/4 way mark, after which it ends up about half way between 1/4 and 1/2 way points on the gauge and seems to prefer to stay there. At speed, the temperature tends to decrease slightly, as it has done in the past (constant air flow through radiator). The coolant level is normal, the expansion tank cap is new (so is the tank), and in general the system seems healthy. Although I like to see the engine running cooler in this ish weather we are having, I'm a little worried about its sudden change in behavior. So far I have only two plausible theories:
    1) The thermostat is stuck open, and that's why the engine doesn't increase temperature as rapidly. This doesn't explain why its running cooler in general though. (The thermostat is 2 years old, temperature spec unknown)
    2) There was a restriction or a clog somewhere and suddenly it is gone. More flow=better cooling. (The coolant is 2 years old, BMW blue)

Is there anything else that can cause this type of sudden change?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

The spring on your thermostat probably just broke. Common occurance.Pull it out and check it.

While on the subject of thermostats, what is the stock temperature rating for the M30?

RealOEM shows an 80C thermostat. My guess would put the thermostat temp either at 80, 88 or 92C.

Quote Originally Posted by colo525i
    RealOEM shows an 80C thermostat. My guess would put the thermostat temp either at 80, 88 or 92C.
    All of the thermostats I see available from aftermarket sources are either 80, 75, or 71 degree. Would a broken thermostat cause the cooler temperature in traffic situations? That is what's puzzling me, since I'm aware of what should be happening during warm up with an open t-stat.

Your thermostat is broken. Be happy it failed in the open position.
    80c stat, an o-ring and you're good to go.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

It certainly could since the fan is mechanical, not electric. The T stat is the only thing that holds the car to operating temp instead of letting it run cooler.

Ditto, best to change the thermostat asap. My temp gauge started drifting randomly for a period of about 2 weeks before the thermostat failed in the closed position. Normally they fail in the open position. Of course Murphy's Law guaranteed mine would fail closed while on a road trip, 100's of miles from any source for a new one. Try finding BMW parts in Bismarck. If it ain't Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, they don't have a clue what you're driving.

m30 temps:

gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

was wondering... can the thermostat be adjusted? mine is running a needle above the middle point?

Thanks for everyone's input. I went ahead and ordered a new 80 degree thermostat and new radiator hoses. Its about time for a cooling system service anyway. Currently my engine likes the region between 144 and 153 degrees on Gale's diagram.

And pong,
    You can't adjust the thermostat. If you are running past the middle, you may need to take a look at your fan clutch, radiator condition, and coolant level. Getting a lower temperature t-stat also won't change your final running temperature, but it will affect how quickly the engine warms up.

Once again, big thanks to the collective mind of bimmer.info