GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Temp needle high at startup??PLZ Help!

Default Temp needle high at startup??PLZ Help!

Hello Guys,
    Its been a while I haven't posted here. Car have been running great with no signs of overheating whatsoever. Today when I started the engine I noticed the temp needle at the 3/4 mark..then slowly go up. I turned off the engine to check the coolant level. It seemed fine. Whats going on here? where do I start??

Thanks in advance..
    Hamada

Quote Originally Posted by hamada
    Hello Guys,
    Its been a while I haven't posted here. Car have been running great with no signs of overheating whatsoever. Today when I started the engine I noticed the temp needle at the 3/4 mark..then slowly go up. I turned off the engine to check the coolant level. It seemed fine. Whats going on here? where do I start??

Thanks in advance..
    Hamada
    I don't know what's in your toolbox, but I'd check the entire cooling system, does the fan clutch work? Have you bled the system? Is your coolant new and in decent condition? I work at a garage, one of the things I have at my disposal is an emissions sniffer. A decent shop will have the same type of thing. If you bring your car to a shop with this type of tool they should be able to sniff the coolant tank while the car is warm and running to see if there's any hydrocarbons in the coolant. A significant amount of HC in coolant will tell you that you have a bad head gasket.

Did it do this from startup when the engine was cold?

If so you've either got a faulty temp sender or the caps on the back of your dashboard need changing. Both are cheap jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bin_jammin
    I don't know what's in your toolbox, but I'd check the entire cooling system, does the fan clutch work? Have you bled the system? Is your coolant new and in decent condition? I work at a garage, one of the things I have at my disposal is an emissions sniffer. A decent shop will have the same type of thing. If you bring your car to a shop with this type of tool they should be able to sniff the coolant tank while the car is warm and running to see if there's any hydrocarbons in the coolant. A significant amount of HC in coolant will tell you that you have a bad head gasket.
    I will check the fan clutch. I did not bleed it recently. The coolant is in decent condition though. I had the motor rebuilt 4 years ago.
    hamada

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Did it do this from startup when the engine was cold?

If so you've either got a faulty temp sender or the caps on the back of your dashboard need changing. Both are cheap jobs.
    Yes Right from the start (like someone have been driving the car before!) I hope its the temp sender or the caps...I'll do some homework when I get home. Very odd with no warnings!
    thanks
    hamada