GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Is there a tool to recrimp the Metal Tips/Cable Sheath ends?

Default Is there a tool to recrimp the Metal Tips/Cable Sheath ends?

I tried fixing my headrests and passenger seat back twist today. I got them all back in but it seems the plastic sheaths just will not remain within the metal ends anymore.Is there a tool to stab thru the metal pressing a barb into the sheath which seems to be the way it was set originally? I just don't know what to look for. I fear if i just give them the crimp of death with pliers I'll just deform them into uselessness and if the sheaths still slip out I'll be unable to get it back in and have to go hunting for those. I got the back level at lest. I didn't take the seat out. I was laying over the seat kind of standing on my head on the floor in front working upside down,lol.. I couldn't get the metal tip out of the motor and didn't have the right wrench to unbolt the motor so i just ripped the sheath out of the tip which remained in the motor,cut the segment of excess off made sure the other end was seated by pulling the cable out some then pushing it back and while turning it till it was seated then tried to shove the plastic sheath back into the metal tip. It worked for a few then i guess it slid out of the tip again so i fiddled with it till i got it at a good level setting for a passenger and quit. same with one of the headrests had them both working fine then mine must have worked itself out of the tip... If there is something which will press thru the metal tip anchoring a sliver in the plastic that ought to do it.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

The posts that I have seen on-line articles (possibly e34 net) say to quickly heat the metal end with a torch to soften the glue then push the sheath in. I have not had to try it. Gorilla glue (hardware store) should work. Possibly the crimping tool for installing ends on tv cables would work.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by cobb535; 08-11-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Don't have a torch? I don't, so here's what I did.

Hold the metal end with some pliers. Hold a cigarette lighter to it for about 30 seconds. Take the plastic end and press it in to the metal sheath, all the while holding the metal with the pliers. Let cool and re-install.
    '95 540iA ~212k

How about epoxy? I removed the cable from the motor, ferrule intact, and did the heat thing - worked just fine. And, yes, it was a royal PITA loosening the motor with the seat in the car - the 8mm Gearwrench tool is a must.

use a dowell or drill bit to slide into the cap and round it back out and flaten the little teeth,

slip the cap back on the cable sheath and crimp with a wire cutter. just get the tip in the cutter into the triangles of those teeth and crimp them in.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default after hassling with that stuff twice...

...i lost it and dropped about $50 IIRC for new cables for both seats at the dealer... think it was like $7 per cable...

the heat/clip/push on deal works great for lots, but guess i kept dorking it up somehow.... cause they kept needing to be redone every 6 months...

new cables are affordable if willing to go that route.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead