GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More stuff seized...

Default More stuff seized...

I got fed up of the car wandering all over the road, and with a suspicion took it to QuickFit to get a free alignment check.

Apparently after the lower control arms have been done, the car's running 0.5 degrees toe-out no wonder the damn thing's all over the place.

When the guy's gone to adjust them, both of the traitor track control arms are seized solid. Jackpot! More expense. I suppose these should be easy to change... but in reality they're going to be an absoloute bastard to get off?

At least I'll have gotten rid of the creaky balljoints I suppose.

Next question: what causes the car to eat the inside edge of the rear tyres? In 4k miles, the car has eaten the inside edge of a part worn tyre and is just about to get dangerous again.

Do the rear trailing arm units come pre-fitted with bushings or am I gonna have to go postal again?

PS... the diesel diff is well wierd!

the rear wheels are meant to eat the inside of the tire more than outside, because they have negative camber. the reason for all that is more stability in the back.

the solution? swap your rear tires every 10k miles.

What is your normal load? Mine wear evenly but its a saloon.I am sorry to say that I think you have a bush gone or an alignment problem, is the wear even on both sides of the car? What is the ride height, lowered can create a problem?

What is your normal load? Mine wear evenly but its a saloon.I am sorry to say that I think you have a bush gone or an alignment problem, is the wear even on both sides of the car? What is the ride height, lowered can create a problem?

subframe bushes...you will feel it tend to lightly bunny hop the rear, in turns.

My rear tyres wear evenly, & over a long period of time. My rears have been on about 18 months and still have loads of tread on them. The fronts, however, are something else lol - usually 6 months until the front left hand tyre is worn away on the inside!

HTH,

Shaun M

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards
    I have a suspicion that the back end has been lowered, the top of the wheels sit inside the arches...

It's wearing more on the left than the right. There's a suggestion of subframe bushings rather than the trailing arm bushings...

Quote Originally Posted by ironie
    subframe bushes...you will feel it tend to lightly bunny hop the rear, in turns.
    I dont understand how the subframe bushes would cause this rather than the trailing arm bushes?

Is the subframe bushing allowing the car to sit down into the mounting more than it should?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    I dont understand how the subframe bushes would cause this rather than the trailing arm bushes?

Is the subframe bushing allowing the car to sit down into the mounting more than it should?
    The body goes one way, the axales another, hence the correcting hops.
    When the bushes go bad it is possible to take a prybar and pull the subframe from the body

My rear looks like it is lowed too, but I suspect it is just tired springs.
    It looks real low with my two dead corpes worth of tool boxes in it
    Last edited by ironie; 08-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironie
    The body goes one way, the axales another, hence the correcting hops.
    When the bushes go bad it is possible to take a prybar and pull the subframe from the body

My rear looks like it is lowed too, but I suspect it is just tired springs.
    It looks real low with my two dead corpes worth of tool boxes in it
    I went out and snapped some pictoors:-
    Back Right tyre low in arch:

Back Left low in arch:

Parallel box to show camber:

EDIT: - You can see the difference in the front and rear arches in this shot:

I'm wondering if the rear suspensions starting to collapse/has a weak spring - the front end looks like it's pointing at the sky at the moment - theres a silly gap between the top of the front wheels and the arches.

I'm wondering if the back left has a weak spring/shock on it as it's always the one that skids/wheelspins if I hoof it.
    Last edited by Ferret; 08-12-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast