GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What the hell am I doing wrong?

Default What the hell am I doing wrong?

I'd posted this already on the 3 series forum & got no replies. I'm trying to help a friend out with his '97 318 is coupe. He'd run into a bunch of problems after having a battery replaced about a year ago. For starters I found out he had 2 different radio code cards - neither of which were correct. I fixed that. However, his locks are all screwed up so I tried the normal re-synching process. I couldn't find any archived info. about what to do if the key physically won't turn in either of the door locks. The only working tumbler at this point is the rear (trunk). It feels as if it is either double locking, or unlocking the whole car when you turn it. The door locks operate normally from the trunk only. I know I'm missing something, but the archived stuff I found didn't address this nor did his manual.
    May the Schwarz be with you...

Default hum...

just sounds to me like the key don't fit the lock.

the 'lectric lock actuators all work, they get the signal when you're insidethe car locking the doors...and when the trunk locks/unlocks, they also all get the signal and respond by locking or unlocking.... so if hte key don't turn in the lock... either both locks are screwed up..(could someone have tried to break in and jacked up the lock cylinder on each door?) ..or else it's the wrong key...

i wouldn't tend to think the battery replacement has any bearing on the locks not working w/the key, but otherwise working fine....

Quote Originally Posted by saluki540i
    I'd posted this already on the 3 series forum & got no replies. I'm trying to help a friend out with his '97 318 is coupe. He'd run into a bunch of problems after having a battery replaced about a year ago. For starters I found out he had 2 different radio code cards - neither of which were correct. I fixed that. However, his locks are all screwed up so I tried the normal re-synching process. I couldn't find any archived info. about what to do if the key physically won't turn in either of the door locks. The only working tumbler at this point is the rear (trunk). It feels as if it is either double locking, or unlocking the whole car when you turn it. The door locks operate normally from the trunk only. I know I'm missing something, but the archived stuff I found didn't address this nor did his manual.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Default Different locks?

I'm going to double check with him, but I don't believe any of the locks have been changed. Another interesting note is that both door panels have been off it appears. Who ever did it didn't reinstall them correctly into the groove at the top. Either way, I think my next move will be to remove each panel, and do an inspection behind there.
    May the Schwarz be with you...