GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: m3 vs 911

Default m3 vs 911

I won't go into all the details but my wife and I are looking at buying a new car. We have no kids and my wife wants to get something expensive to encourage me to work harder Unfortunately, we don't have a garage so our nice car will have to endure the Michigan elements (at least in the summer).

We are thinking of a high mileage M3 or maybe a 911. Our michigan all-season 'economical' alternative would be to get a 330xi. (My first choice would be an WRX STi but my wife thinks they're fugly.)

What I'm looking for are your thoughts on the quality and maintenance of those fine autos at 80k+ miles. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

drive both
    make a decision
    ?????????
    profit

I drove a junky m3 convertible with a carfax full of auction sales all over the country, and I drove an m3 coupe in great shape. The convertible had tons of squeaks but it also had 84k miles and wasn't well maintained. the other m3 was perfect for me but my wife wants a convertible.

I wasn't expecting to but I took a boxster S for a spin and it blew me away. The roof was quiet, the fit and finish were great, it was in mint condition, and the price is right too. I wasn't thinking about one before but I definitely am now. I'll still hold out until I drive the 911 though.
    az

If going for a 911 try and get one with service records preferably maintained by an approved workshop. as far as the reliability of 911 motors goes the 3.2 liter engine(911 1985-1989) is practically bullet proof. the earlier 3.0 liter engines are just as reliable. go for a 1986 or later 911 because it'll have the G50 gearbox which is hydraulically assisted giving it a more modern feel. The only notable problem with the 3.0l and 3.2l engines is premature wear of the valve spring guides...easily fixed though and not for alot of money check recommended upgrades at pelicanparts.com. Try and avoid the 964 series 911's they're notorious for being plagued with problems. but if you got a lower mileage one with full service records you should be ok. the 993 series is perhaps the most desireable of the 911's they still hold high value. From what i've heard from owners they're pretty much flawless. As far as prices go only the 3.0l, 3.2l and the 964 are comparable to the M3 but as far as fun to drive and performance go the 911 is miles ahead. It really is something special. It may take some practice to learn how to drive it properly but don't let that scare you away once you do know it is one of the most rewarding vehicles to drive. That's most of what I can remember off the top of my head...(I'm a Porsche nut) any more question please feel free to ask.
    -Mike

oh yeah the boxster S is the next best thing probably the best car I've ever driven, Next to a 997 GT3
    -Mike

A convertible in Michigan? That's worse than people here in Portland Oregon with convertibles... Who are they kidding besides themselves?

You should rent her a convertible for a few weeks in the fall-> winter and see if she doesn't get sick of it, lol
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Specifically we were targeting a '99 or newer porsche or an '01 or newer m3. We'd like to get in for under $25k . . . wishful thinking but like I said, high mileage. I didn't look at the 993s but I will now. I've seen a few high mileage 996 911s go for around there and I found a guy in New York selling a Carrera 4 Cabriolet with the hardtop for $27k (but it has like 100k miles).

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    oh yeah the boxster S is the next best thing probably the best car I've ever driven . . .
    So are you saying if money weren't an issue, you'd take the boxster s over the 911?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg
    A convertible in Michigan? That's worse than people here in Portland Oregon with convertibles... Who are they kidding besides themselves?

You should rent her a convertible for a few weeks in the fall-> winter and see if she doesn't get sick of it, lol
    She won't get sick of it, I promise. She's from south carolina and can't get enough of the hot sun. It drives me nuts having the sun beating down on me but I endure it because she's worth it, but I want a hardtop for the off season or long trips. Besides, when we had a targa 'vette, we drive with the top off in the hot sun and in the cold.

I talked to a mechanic today about maintenance. He confirmed what I've heard: that they are well-built but maintenance is expensive, x2 of whatever the same job would cost on an m3. It looks like you have to drop the engine in the boxster to do anything and the carrera isn't much better. but it does seem like the carreras hold their value a little better.

I'm still agonizing over it. Hopefully I'll drive a couple 911s this weekend.
    az

Quote Originally Posted by azale
    Specifically we were targeting a '99 or newer porsche or an '01 or newer m3. We'd like to get in for under $25k . . . wishful thinking but like I said, high mileage. I didn't look at the 993s but I will now. I've seen a few high mileage 996 911s go for around there and I found a guy in New York selling a Carrera 4 Cabriolet with the hardtop for $27k (but it has like 100k miles).

So are you saying if money weren't an issue, you'd take the boxster s over the 911?

She won't get sick of it, I promise. She's from south carolina and can't get enough of the hot sun. It drives me nuts having the sun beating down on me but I endure it because she's worth it, but I want a hardtop for the off season or long trips. Besides, when we had a targa 'vette, we drive with the top off in the hot sun and in the cold.

I talked to a mechanic today about maintenance. He confirmed what I've heard: that they are well-built but maintenance is expensive, x2 of whatever the same job would cost on an m3. It looks like you have to drop the engine in the boxster to do anything and the carrera isn't much better. but it does seem like the carreras hold their value a little better.

I'm still agonizing over it. Hopefully I'll drive a couple 911s this weekend.
    If I were you I wouldn't try and get a 996 for 25k that's the very bottom end of the ranmge and any car you do get for that price.. is gonna be...well rough and not in the mechanical condition that you'd want. As far as boxster vs 911 goes the 911 is the top of the heap for good reason and the boxster s is an amazing car it has an astounding sense of balance, it feels more like a point and shoot car. The 911 may take more practice to drive fast but it's worth it. honestly I find it hard to choose between 911 and boxster just because they're both so great. I'd have to say the 993 is probably the most fun out of the 911's in your price range, the 996 (1999-2004) feels more sedated and watered down. Drive a bunch of cars see which one you like best that'll be the deciding factor. Which ever car you choose you can't really go wrong.
    Good Luck
    -Mike
    -Mike

So your wife wants you to have something expensive to encourage you to work harder.
    A mistress perhaps?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Trade-in the Wife for a newer-lower-miles-better-condition M3.....j/k. In all honesty, unless you have a small fortune that you wish to depart with, get the M3 because the Porsche will cost you mega $$$ to maintain and/or repair. Having owned 2 Porsches in my youth I can honestly state, "I have never enjoyed the maintenance costs of a Porsche....then again 2 grand for a clutch replacement is NOT funny...and Porsche dealerships NEVER have parts in-stock.
    Last edited by pmlmotorsports; 09-01-2007 at 09:58 AM.

1995 540iM Alpine White/ Lt Silver Grey 84k
    1992 535iM Black/Lt Silver Grey 132k
    1990 535iM Glacier Blue/Blue 206k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast