GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacing M30 injectors - any gotchas?

Default Replacing M30 injectors - any gotchas?

Hi,

I'm ready to try and swap out my injectors to see if they are the reason for my starting issues. Is there a best-practices website someplace or is it pretty much a case of following Bentley? Any special tips, tricks or "better order this part since it will break while removing"?

Reasonably easy job to do? I always get nervous working with fuel lines that can spray, spurt, dribble and just generally offer a fabulous opportunity for disaster. I will run the pressure down by disabling the pump but that still seems to leave some pressure.

Thanks for all the help with this troubleshooting,
    Adnan

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan
    Hi,

I'm ready to try and swap out my injectors to see if they are the reason for my starting issues. Is there a best-practices website someplace or is it pretty much a case of following Bentley? Any special tips, tricks or "better order this part since it will break while removing"?

Reasonably easy job to do? I always get nervous working with fuel lines that can spray, spurt, dribble and just generally offer a fabulous opportunity for disaster. I will run the pressure down by disabling the pump but that still seems to leave some pressure.

Thanks for all the help with this troubleshooting,
    Adnan

I don't know about gotchas, but just figured I'd offer some tips for you. First, use compressed air to blow all the crap that's settled on the injector o-rings out. Then use some type of spray solvent that won't dissolve the o-rings, and clean the tops of the o-rings with that, spray compressed air to blow the crap out again. Once it's clean in there, spray some silicon spray onto the o-rings. Let it sit for a little while (this is the really thin silicon, not RTV or anything like that, this stuff is a lube) Use a goodly amount of silicon and eventually you can start trying to turn the injectors in their bores. Once you can turn them back and forth fairly easily you're ready to try removing them.

(assuming you've removed everything else)

No gotchas, it's straightforward. Send them out for ultrasonic cleaning rather than replacement at ~$100 a pop. Ought to cost ~$20 each, they'll let you know if any are bad.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default Who does that kind of cleaning?

Hi,

Good idea; is this like a typical ultrasonic bath as used in labs and jewelery cleaning?

Thanks,
    Adnan

$100 for cleaning or $200 for new injectors.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Re cleaning, I've used Gordon for my 951 injectors. Would recommend him any day.

http://www.witchhunter.com/

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy