GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What does the check control module do?

Default What does the check control module do?

So I've got my project car back together, and it's telling me "check control" "see owner's manual" which tells me bring car to dealer. I've finally figured out "check control" means "check control module".

What is this thing, and what does it do? It's got a part # of 61.34-1388613 and 601-0700-001 on it. It says "Nicht werfen" and it's made by united technologies automotive.

Anyone have any idea at all?

The CCM receives signals from various sensors to check the vehicle lights, coolant level, oil level, open doors, etc., and generate the warnings that appear in the instrument cluster. It could be that the module is defective or has poor connections, but first verify that your battery is fully charged. A low battery can throw "Check Control" messages.

BTW, please put your vehicle details in your profile. With that, I could check the wiring diagrams for your vehicle to give you more specific suggestions of fuses to check, etc.
    Last edited by DaveVoorhis; 08-07-2007 at 10:19 AM.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    The CCM receives signals from various sensors to check the vehicle lights, coolant level, oil level, open doors, etc., and generate the warnings that appear in the instrument cluster. It could be that the module is defective or has poor connections, but first verify that your battery is fully charged. A low battery can throw "Check Control" messages.

BTW, please put your vehicle details in your profile. With that, I could check the wiring diagrams for your vehicle to give you more specific suggestions of fuses to check, etc.
    Sorry, I thought I had done that, my bad. Done now. Battery is fully charged, it's been doing it since I put the car back together. The car was dead before I started, so I don't know what it was doing before. Battery voltage has been low, but it does it even with the car on a battery charger, or with a booster pack on the battery. Fully charged or weak is what I'm saying.

The details of the car are on cardomain:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2657002

Will the car run without the ccm installed? I've had tons of problems trying to get this car to idle, I thought I had it fixed, then had to change out the tranny. New tranny in and it doesn't idle again. NO, it doesn't have a vacuum leak.

The car will run without the CCM installed. When you say it doesn't idle, do you mean it runs if you keep on the throttle but dies if you let off it?

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    The car will run without the CCM installed. When you say it doesn't idle, do you mean it runs if you keep on the throttle but dies if you let off it?
    Finally someone understands exactly what I mean. I'm a mechanic, you too?

Anyway, yeah, if I foot it it will stay running. I just found an exhaust leak too, Going to tighten that up. I'm going deaf, so it escaped me, too many years in the shop