GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: which wheel would you prefer? please vote if your seriously interested

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • 17x8" LTW-5 et20

0 0%
  • 17x8.5" LTW-5 et20-25 (still undetermined)

0 0%
  • 18x8" Em-Power et20

3 100.00%
  • 15x8" LTW-5 et20

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Custom e30, e28, e34 wheels: LTW-5 (17x8", 17x8.5" + 15x8") Em Power 18x8"

Default Custom e30, e28, e34 wheels: LTW-5 (17x8", 17x8.5" + 15x8") Em Power 18x8"

I haven't posted on here that often, but I've been on bimmerforums, s14.net, and numerous other bmw forums for a long time. I'm developing a few custom wheels and some people mentioned to me that I should post about them here too so that we could get the group-buy moving faster. One of the wheels is very similar in design to the uncapped throwing star wheel, but lighter, and it can also have a polished lip. I used to have a set of uncapped throwing stars on my previous e34 so I figured the e34 guys may be interested. If either wheel is made then I'll also be getting a set for my 540i/6 not just my track e30 m3.

Intro:

There is a very low selection of wheels that actually fit our cars. Almost everything new is either an e36 wheel, which requires us to pay for expensive spacers. A 5/7 series wheel that has too great of a diameter or width (which sometimes needs hub centric rings/fender rolling). Then some wheels are just too heavy or don’t clear our brakes. This really narrows down the present selection.

I've spent a long time searching for a new 17" and even an 18” wheel with the right offset that would be good for both track and street use, affordable, excellent brake clearance, and actually looks good. I found two wheels which are excellent candidates for this particular use:

The LTW-5:

The Em-Power:

LTW-5 Features and Description:

The LTW-5 was just recently released and is presently available in high offset e36/e46 fitments. It was designed to be an extremely strong and very light weight race wheel. This wheel would be built in in either an a 17x8" size with a 20mm offset. Due to requests, I'm also looking into developing a 15x8" et20 version of the wheel, but the quantity needed to move forward on a 15x8" wheel would be significantly higher. The 17x8" version would only be made in a 5 lug version for now. The 15x8" could also be made in a 4 lug version.

The wheel is created using the flow forming process, which is the same semi-forging process used on SSR wheels. The center area of the wheel is first cast in a low pressure mold, then removed and spun on a CNC machine where it is pressed, heated, and spun simultaneously, resulting in a semi-forged finish that forces the aluminum in the barrel area of the wheel to be thinner yet molecularly more dense, allowing more strength from less mass. For example: this allows the 17x8.5” version of the wheel (e36 offset) to weight in at only 16.2lbs. The goal with the 17x8" design would be to accommodate 235/40/17 R compound tires for those who want to track, or just run a 215 or 225 for the street if they don't want to go as wide. The custom offset of this wheel would make this an excellent choice for the e30 m3, e30’s with a 5 lug swap, the e28 and the e34 without the need for expensive spacers. The wheel could be produced in any color and a machined lip. It is presently being sold in Anthracite, Black with a machined lip, and Silver in other sizes. I’m also considering having the wheel created in Nagaro silver with a machined lip. Both wheels are designed to accept an OEM center cap with a BMW roundel.

Colors will be limited to 2-3 colors once in production, but for those that order before production is finalized, they could select a custom color for an extra fee (same option for Em-Power wheel). I’d like to hear what size and color people would be interested in.

Em-Power Features and Description:

The Em-Power wheel is a more of a luxury wheel design which would be created in an 18x8” size with a 20mm offset. Staggered setups are possible if demand is very high.** This wheel hasn’t hit the market yet, but the first batch is already on its way (again in only high offset versions). This mesh wheel is also designed using the flow forming process which allows it to be significantly lighter then other wheels that are similar in design (7-8+ lbs. Lighter). The 18x8” wheel would weigh in the high 18’s or just over 19lbs. (The designer of the wheel mentioned he has made a change which takes another .3lbs out of the wheel) The 18x9’s would be just over 20 lbs. The design/offset of this wheel would again cater to the e28 and e34 as well.

**From what I discussed with the manufacturer; if a 9” or 10” rear were used, the lip would not increase, instead extra material would be added to the hub to push the wheel out. For this reason I am leaning towards a not developing a staggered setup in this custom offset (because of the quantity needed for each version of the wheel). Instead those that would want a staggered rear would utilize spacers on the wider wheel that is already currently in production (available from 8.5-10”).

This wheel would also be available in any color, but a select few would have to be determined. The center can be painted while the lip is machine polished and cleared. We discussed having one made in all Silver, a Nagaro center with machined lip, and one that is a Black center with a machined lip. Both wheels are designed to accept an OEM center cap with a BMW roundel. I am open to other ideas on sizing/offset/color.

Development and How to Buy:

Once we determine what to build it will take up to 3 months for production. Wheel prices will be dependent on size and final costs of production. The LTW-5 price would be based around $240 and the Em-power wheel would be 270-290 (both size dependent and demand dependent). Interested parties would have to make a partial deposit on a set of wheels to hold their place, and to begin development once enough deposits are made. The thread will be updated with pricing info as we go along.

So at this point I'd like to create a list or people who would be seriously interested in moving forward with a 17x8" 5x120 et20 wheel. the wheel should weight in right at around 16lbs. the .5" less rim will take some weight away but the 20mm offset will add some, so it will be a balance in comparison to what they've already created. Either way it will be very light and strong.

I'd also like to see a list of people who want 15" wheels. these would be 15x8" 20mm offset wheels(not set it stone, but it seems that is what people would be interested in). This would be both 4 and 5 lug.

People on the list must be serious about buying wheels, because a deposit must be made in order for this to move forward. I'd need to see that we have enough demand within two weeks for the 17's to work. If we have enough people then we would need to collect deposits so that the wheel can go into production. PLEASE only add your name if you are serious because the timing on this is rather tight.

If you add your name to the list please also email or PM with your contact information (name/phone number) if you don't want it posted here, so that I may contact you when were ready to move forward). Deposits could be made only through paypal as well as credit card or cash if local. These would be non refundable but would be credited towards the value of the wheels. If the wheels are not produced you would receive a full refund. If you decide against the wheel, then you would have to sell your spot in line. (sorta like people do on new M3 pre-orders )

(Copy and update the list in your post with: Your Name , Quantity , Color preference)

OFFICIAL 17x8" et20 LTW-5 List
    Paintpro21, Eddy Pintacsi, 1-2 sets, all colors fine such as silver, nagaro, anthracite, black...
    Johnathan Benson, 1 set
    SacM3, 1 set (silver)

OFFICIAL 17x8.5" et20 LTW-5 List
    empty, Mike T, 1-2 sets (maybe another, very iffy on this third one though), any color that matches brake dust or is darker
    Paintpro21, Eddy Pintacsi, 1-2 sets, all colors fine such as silver, nagaro, anthracite, black...(if we go 8.5 instead of 8)
    Jonathan Benson, 1 set, (if we go 8.5 instead of 8)

OFFICIAL 15x8" et20 LTW-5 List

surebimmber from r3vlimited

Post in this thread, PM me, or email me at: paintpro21 at gmail dot com. I can provide a phone number.

Link to threads on other forums

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26743
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...934#post800934
    Last edited by paintpro21; 08-07-2007 at 12:44 AM.

This site only allows 4 pics per post so I have to spread these out

Previous Custom Wheel:

My workplace has experience with similar custom wheel work for the BMW 2002, by having a custom batch of 15"x7" Rota wheels created. They are similar in design to Panasports and they are custom because of the 02' specific offset and center bore sizing, which makes them a much better fit then the standard Rota wheel; which require spacers and have the wrong center bore. They are very popular on the 2002 FAQ forums and the group buy thread for them has over 54,000 views.

(Here are the custom RB’s on Moe's s14 swapped '02)

Additional Wheel Images: