GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allow myself to introduce…myself

Default Allow myself to introduce…myself

Hello all! Over the last 5 months you guys have been nothing short of amazing. Thanks!

My story (attempting to be brief): I decided I needed a classy powerful ride (to upgrade the from my –cough- mitsubishi mirage) and seeing as to how I just got promoted at work and it was my birthday. It was time to go back to my heritage (born in Berlin) for a BMW. I scoured the local market checking out newer 3 series, some older 7s, but alas at first glance I knew I needed the e34. Went V8; saw no alternative - I wanted the big engine (and no one was parting with their beloved 540s).
    Unfortunately this led to a used car dealership and I was about to become a living Cliché. It was nearly 2 grand below KBB value and I had a mechanic buddy of mine check her out. He was young, but I trusted him, he came back with a good report. I got it.. 3 weeks later my “strong clutch” (quoted from salesman) dropped to the floor with a ‘clunk’. Had a highly rated Euro Car repair shop check her out and $2,100 later!!!…I had a new clutch. The pressure plate had broken, the flywheel was toast and unfixable (or so I was told). Then I started reading up on the Nikisil issue, about which I was clueless (My car is 98k on the original Nik engine…worried to be sure, but it idles strong and runs stronger: so far so good). I also discovered a major coolant leak (apparently badly patched but soon to be pouring onto my driveway. Basically, I decided I would never again be this ignorant and financially boned. I immediately bought the Bentley and found this site. I have since diagnosed and fixed my leak, replaced COUNTLESS parts (inc my water pump; of which I was fairly proud of myself), belts, fluids, censors, stereo (UGLY silver one from PO), etc.
    The only things I had professionally done (after the clutch) were wheel mounting and the window tint. In the DC area, (Alexandria VA) and it is NORMAL to pay a mechanic $100 an hour or more to work on your car. Thanks for saving me hundreds if not thousands of dollars! Something new seems to break every day but here is where I am at so far.
    Im running 275/40 18 michelin Pilot Sports in the back and 245/40 18s in front. Im sure not everyone will like the wheels as I know a lot of traditionalists and “OE or bust” guys are on here, but I love em. I also played around with different grill setups (including blacked out, chromed out w/ grill kit, and inverted with chrome slats with the blacked out trim). In the end I thought the original Chrome rings around the black looked best. That’s why I decided against shadow-line trim. The whole theme of silver outlining black IMO (ie: the grill, the trim, and the wheels) is just way too smooth as a theme (again, im sure there are many that disagree and that’s groovy).
    So again, keep up the great work and thanks a ton! Here are a couple pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Very nice. Next stop... drop-town. Sachs performance ftw.

You are the first person I've seen with the crystal sidemarkers in. They don't look bad in pics, but I'd probably change my mind up close. How do you like them?

Last note: Don't worry about the Nikasil issue. Just keep the engine in check and you'll be good. I just turned the 175k mile mark on my Nika.

Looks good man. Welcome aboard.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Default Welcome

Sounds like you've been catching up the maintenance that the PO failed to do, but it also sounds like you have been making lots of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    Last note: Don't worry about the Nikasil issue. Just keep the engine in check and you'll be good. I just turned the 175k mile mark on my Nika.
    I have almost 230k on my '95 Nikasil V8 and still does not use oil between changes. Just keep up the maintenance.

Good Luck, and enjoy your ride.

Great job! Now it's time to replace the US bumber trim with some Euro trim.

Check out abrahamsmotorsport.com

Excess within control...
    1995 BMW 525i

**** that looks nice!!!!

That looks ****ing awesome.

Great job with the car. I wouldn't really put crystal clear corners on my car, but as you said with the silver accenting the black, it looks top notch and well suited to your car. Well done.

Maybe get clear front bumper markers if you can.

Any interior shots?

Velcome aboard...nice car!very shinny euro smiley headlights would be a nice touch also....

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Very nice car! Once you've sorted those early problems ownership does get easier, and crucially - cheaper!!! You will start to enjoy the car more.

By the way with the Nikasil issue - I thought BMW replaced engines up to 100k? If so you may be in with a chance - a slim one as the car is getting on but a chance nonetheless - I know that here in the UK they were replaced up to 100k and I've seen some cars with barely 10k on their new engines so they must have been done recently. I 'think' mine is an Alusil block (its a Feb 96, registered Jan 97) so I haven't pursued it personally.

I spotted this one with 10k on the engine as a result of having it replaced due to nikasil..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=001
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

thanks guys, always nice to hear hard work is paying off.

About the clears - Exactly. I like the clean look of the black on chrome/clear. All that original orange just popped out in all the wrong kinds of ways. I had to get rid of it. I (of course) kept all the original stuff and it still works should i change my mind. And either Euro Trim or clear bumper lights are certainly high on my wishlist, but my bank account needs a temporary break from asthetic issues. Same goes for the springs, euro smileys and EAT chip. I plan to get them asap, but asap is prolly still a few months away as I am damn near broke and gotta finish off the necessities, but they are coming.

As for the interior - I have no pics just yet as there is some failing seems/rippage on the passenger seat. Still looking in to fixing that (good suggestions?). Nothing terrible, but nothing special worthy of pics. Clean and great condition (other than passenger seat), beige leather, all original except my aftermarket cd/mp3 player (with red button lights) that replaced the god-awful silver based elaborate blue touchscreen cd player from the PO. thanks for the suggestions as and ill post new pics as new improvements are made.

T

What are the wheel measurements to fit those tires?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast