GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rear window switch bulb replacement - how to...

Default Rear window switch bulb replacement - how to...

OK, so I've got some time off work, a new car and keep finding ljobs to do (it's an obsession OK?)

So today I've replaced the bulbs in the rear power window switches. I've searched through the forum and can't find any really detailed info on doing it - it's not difficult - so I've written a procedure for you, and taken some pics - loads more at http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z6/g7syw/.

Apologies if somebody has already done it & I couldn't find it.

Tools required: Small flat balde screwdriver, philips screwdriver, sidecutters, soldering iron, a desoldering pump is handy if you have one.

Replacement bulb: small (3mm diameter x 6mm long) wire ended 12v, amber in colour. Check with your local modelling shop or electronics store. You may have trouble getting a bulb the exact colour, here in the UK Maplins supply a yellow bulb which is a bit brighter but hardly noticable.

First of all we need to remove the switch from the door panel trim. This is acomplished by removing three screws, one is behind the ashtray, the other two are concealed by plastic covers which are easily removed with a small screwdriver.

It's possible to flex the armrest enough to move the plastic so that the two fixing clips on the back of the switch can be reached and depressed with a srewdriver - I didn't get a pic of this as I don't have enough hands

Once you have the switch out you need to gently prise it apart using a small screwdriver, don't worry, there are no springs or contacts to fall out, but it may be worthwhile making a note of which way round the top of the switch fits on the body.

Once you have the swich apart you can see the bulb sitting in a small plastic turret with it's wires soldered to two of the brass strips inside the switch.

Using a soldering iron, be very careful not to melt any of the plastic parts, de-solder the wires and lift the bulb out.

Insert the replacement bulb into the turret, you will notice that there slots for the wirs to go through, and finish by soldering to the brass strips and trimming the wires to length. While you still have the switch apart you can also spray some contact cleaner onto the contacts and give them a gentle rub with a cotton bud or similar - don't be tempted to use a file or sandpaper!
    BEFORE replacing the top of the switch check that you didn't accidentally make any solder bridges or have allowed the bulb wires to make any short circuits.

Clip the top of the switch back into place making sure it's the right way round. The small roller on the top half of the switch sits in the vee shaped recess in the bottom half of the switch.

Finally, reconnect the switch, turn on the ignition and check that your new bulb is OK and the window works.

Replacement is the reverse of removal - just make sure you put the switch back in the door panel the correct way up!
    Last edited by g7syw; 08-08-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Who do I love Most - Wife, Kids or Car...
    Wife's always moaning, Kids always yelling...
    OK - The Car Wins!!