GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: To sell or not to sell -one for the brits

Default To sell or not to sell -one for the brits

Been thinking maybe its time to get a newer model but the ones I have seen dont seem to have the same spec as mine and are silly money:
    150K km on clock, all leather
    Electric: seats/headrests/mirrors/sunroof/windows
    Arm rests,OBC,Rear sunblind,Aircon,Alloys,PAS,'Cassette' box
    Tools,first aid box and torch
    Its got 12 months MOT and the engine and auto box are sound. Body has a few minor scratches. So the question is:
    a. Should I keep her?
    b. How much am I going to get if I sell her?
    c. What am I going to be able to buy with the proceeds of b?
    d. Should I just stop wondering and go wash her?
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

What's it worth , about a grand ? Hard to think of a better car for that kinda money. If you done a bunch of work on it and its running fine, keep it. Now go break out the cleaning gear.

IMO - for the money you'd get for it and what it would cost you to "upgrade" I think I would be inclined to wash it - forget the leather and take it for a blast on the motorway to blow-dry her

Who do I love Most - Wife, Kids or Car...
    Wife's always moaning, Kids always yelling...
    OK - The Car Wins!!

Sunroof + armrests + rear shade + A/C + OBC on a 525i is a relatively rare combo in the UK. You'd be unloading a barrel of cash to find its equivalent in an E39, only to wind up with not that much better a car, somebody else's problems and possibly higher mileage. Scratches are easy to fix. Keep it 'til the doors fall off, then upgrade.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Default Keep her or not?

I think she is probably only worth a grand-I'd only get a Hyundai atob for that kind of money:-) Have sorted the engine and gearbox and a number of other bits so I've invested time and money. But I never expected to get that back. I thought the pack was a bit unusual - I havent seen one with the same spec. And the scratches are minor. So I gave her a wash and blasted up the road with the window open-I love that engine sound. Think that did it! Thanks for the comments gents. I'm going to keep her My next challenge is to post a pic - took a few today but they are over a meg in size so I have to reduce them to post them!

If the car is in good order I would keep it. Better the you know and all that, especially if you've done the maintenance on it and replaced the troublesome parts.

I was looking for a car to replace my 535i Sport because I needed an estate but I had the same problem - finding something equivalent for decent money, my shortlist was an Audi A6 or guess what? Yes in the end I bought a e34 540i touring!! The A6 in my price range just had nothing about it - I found it very average. And the E-class was a no no, I already have a CLK and couldn't stomach two mercs.

I would say a grand is probably about right for yours and you would probably need at lease another grand at the very least to get an equivalent newer car.

If you go for a newer car with less options it will annoy you, I would like my touring to have the mtech suspension and a manual gearbox like the 535 and it bugs me that it doesn't.

The only argument I have for selling is rust, if yours is rusty or rotten (or if its just setting in) then sell, this is one problem you won't solve economically unless you can do it all yourself, everything else can be sorted.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    The only argument I have for selling is rust, if yours is rusty or rotten (or if its just setting in) then sell, this is one problem you won't solve economically unless you can do it all yourself, everything else can be sorted.
    Its sound on top and underneath. No rusty doors or sills etc. And the mot tester isnt a mate or anything Put his damn dirty boots on my mats after I'd had just had her valeted