GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M-20 timing belt questions

Default M-20 timing belt questions

hoping for some input ,just finished a valve job on my m-20 525-1.on initial start up the timing belt is making a hole lot of noise,it sounded like it was extreemly tight and just whining really loud.i pulled the cover off and cant really find anything wrong,the belt wasnt excessively tight and showed only the slightest sign of rubbing on the bottom cover.i dont think this would cause the problem.ive got 246.000 miles on the motor,what are the chances of the cam,crank,and idler pulleys being worn excessivly and if they are will the new belt break in over time.its the rounded cog style belt and a new tensioner.also should the cam timing marks line up exactly?.when the crank is on the mark the cam is approx 1/2 tooth off either direction.i cant get it perfect. thanks for any advice. bones

Quote Originally Posted by bones
    hoping for some input ,just finished a valve job on my m-20 525-1.on initial start up the timing belt is making a hole lot of noise,it sounded like it was extreemly tight and just whining really loud.i pulled the cover off and cant really find anything wrong,the belt wasnt excessively tight and showed only the slightest sign of rubbing on the bottom cover.i dont think this would cause the problem.ive got 246.000 miles on the motor,what are the chances of the cam,crank,and idler pulleys being worn excessivly and if they are will the new belt break in over time.its the rounded cog style belt and a new tensioner.also should the cam timing marks line up exactly?.when the crank is on the mark the cam is approx 1/2 tooth off either direction.i cant get it perfect. thanks for any advice. bones
    this might help you a bit http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte.../M20Timing.asp

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8
    thanks ,this is the instruction i used on assembly.il reassemble tomorrow and let her whine til the belt breaks in.