GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Been lurking, 1st post - thanks to Bimmer Nut Ed for letting me in here...

Default Been lurking, 1st post - thanks to Bimmer Nut Ed for letting me in here...

Hi to everyone...

Let me introduce myself and my new love...

My name is Rod, I live in Essex in the UK and for a long time now (abt 16 yrs - kids taking all my cash!!) I've been driving ordinary family cars until 3 weeks ago when I found the new love of my life - a 1994 525i - been sitting on a guys drive for just over two years without moving an inch.

First thoughts - it's never going to start, it smells damp & I bet the handrake is siezed on solid...

OK, dead battery - jump leads out and after a few cranks she leapt into life as though waking from a sleep. A few puffs of smoke and she sat there purring like she'd never been left... Let's try moving her - WOW!! the handbrake hadn't siezed and after slipping her into reverse moved her slowly and gently down the drive, the brakes worked too.

After a bit of haggling I got the guy to agree to fit a new battery and get the car through the annual roadworthiness test and I would take the car away for a very reasonable sum, turns out he had to replace a track rod end, screen washer pump, rear rotors and pads plus a couple of minor bits to pass the test...

She's now all mine - yippee!!!

So what have I done in the time I've had her... I spent a day cleaning the interior and another day on the exterior, a good wash down and four coats of wax later she looks pretty. I'm honestly surprised that for a car that's been left standing for two years that the paintwork has come up so well. There's a few small marks on the bodywork but nothing I can't live with.

Unfortunately, the cam cover gasket had begun to deteriorate and leak oil so I've replaced that, one of the rear doors wouldn't open from the inside - the end had broken off the operating cable - replaced that, the blower wasn't working properly, replaced the resistor pack.. Oooh, the damp smell - bucket loads of air freshener has got rid of that

Today, I've spent curing the "famous" 50-60 mph shimmy - I spent ages reading through the posts on here and woondered should I attempt it or take it to the dealer. Then I made my mind up, I've done more complicated stuff in the past so what have I got to lose?

So armed with new track control arms, thrust arms and bushes, breaker bar, ball joint splitter and gallons of WD40 I set about the job. Well, it wasn't that difficult, I didn't even get the one bolt that won't come undone symptom. She's all back together again and the shimmy has gone...

What;'s next on my to-do list - go out & show her off, of course...

Looks like I'm going to be in love for a long time now.....

Sorry for waffling on, but that's all about me and my new love.
    Last edited by g7syw; 08-04-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Who do I love Most - Wife, Kids or Car...
    Wife's always moaning, Kids always yelling...
    OK - The Car Wins!!

Congratulations and welcome Rod. You have accomplised a lot of work without whining like a little kid. I was also impressed at how easy most things are to work on, much easier then the old Detroit metal that was my mainstay.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Mad E34 love is in the air!

Congrats and good luck! Got anymore pics?
    -Mike

Welcome to the family of e34 world If you don't know this yet this is a very helpful, here's the link http://www.bmwe34.net/ And buy a bently manual also to complete everything

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Hi guys & thanks for the warm welcome and positive comments.

Sam-Son, in reply to your question, yep here's a few more pics for you, I'll add a few interior pics soon... now a question for you, in your sig you have "euro smilies" - I may be being a bit dumb here - but what are these?

Last edited by g7syw; 08-04-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Who do I love Most - Wife, Kids or Car...
    Wife's always moaning, Kids always yelling...
    OK - The Car Wins!!

Welcome.

Nice car !

Euro smilies are the headlights that you already have - if you look they look like a smiling face - these were not standard in US spec cars, AFAIK, so our cousins in the US covet them.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."