GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A loud clank when I shift...

Default A loud clank when I shift...

Hello all! I'm a new forum user and need some insight from the gurus.

A few weeks a ago I picked up a '94 530i with 187k and an automatic tranny.

About a week ago on my way home I made a stop and when I shifted into park, there was a loud clank noise from under the car. Panic immediately consumed me.

I only live about 6 miles away so I shifted into reverse to back up and it clanked again. I got it into drive and cautiously headed home. All the way home she drove fine, shifted normally and without any noise.

When I arrived home it did the same clank when I finally parked it in my driveway. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what they feel the issue may be?

I haven't driven it since and I drained the tranny fluid and pulled the pan off. The fluid was dark and needed changing. I have a new filter on order and will install it as soon as it comes in.

The tranny is a ZF 5HP18 with an OEM number of 1056-000-087.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Lets not completely freak out here, first thing I would check and or replace is the engine and trans mounts if needed. Next is the inspection of the center bearing and also the guibo on the end of the trans. If everything is in great condition then yes...you can freak, but we can walk you through whatever it is.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Lets not completely freak out here, first thing I would check and or replace is the engine and trans mounts if needed. Next is the inspection of the center bearing and also the guibo on the end of the trans. If everything is in great condition then yes...you can freak, but we can walk you through whatever it is.
    I agree with 632 regal...Had that clunk noise also before turned out to be that the center bearing was shot...weird thing about it I don't have a guibo...

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8
    I agree with 632 regal...Had that clunk noise also before turned out to be that the center bearing was shot...weird thing about it I don't have a guibo...
    x2. I think its more likely a drivetrain issue than the box itself. Can I suggest if you are changing the 'guibo' you make sure you put it in the right way round Also be careful to torque the right side or you will wreck it. When you come to fill the oil again, you need the engine running and aircon on (to get fast idle). Foot on brake and shift through all gears. Keep filling till fluid starts coming back out of the hole. There is a small plate just behind the hole so make sure your filling tube gets by it or you will get very wet
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)

Default Freaking on hold...

Thanks for the input...I feel better for the time being.

I ordered up my Bentley but Amazon said it won't be delivered for 10-14 days

That's ok, it has been raining for the past few days so I guess I can wait a few more.

I have never dealt with these items before so what should I be looking for?

-Will the mounts be cracked or crushed and allow excess movement?

-Will the center bearing also show some kind of play in it?

-Thirdly...I believe that if you want something done right...do it yourself; but I'm parked in my driveway with the car supported on ramps...should I seriously think about taking it to a shop?

Thanks for the advice...I'm dying to get her on the road again!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal

Default I pray you guys are right...

I wasn't looking forward to spending major $ on tranny work or replacement. Especially right after I spent my last spare dime getting her. This car is a dream fullfiiled for me though...so I will fix her even if it takes a while.

QUESTION: Regarding the tranny fill, how much fluid will I need to do a refill?

When I drained it I got about 2-3 quarts out. The manual says it takes 3 1/2 quarts so I bought 4. But I found a ZF 5HP18 spare parts catalog in PDF form on-line and it said the tranny had an oil capacity of 11.1 quarts.

...some insight please?

Thanks for all your help, gentlemen. I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    x2. I think its more likely a drivetrain issue than the box itself. Can I suggest if you are changing the 'guibo' you make sure you put it in the right way round Also be careful to torque the right side or you will wreck it. When you come to fill the oil again, you need the engine running and aircon on (to get fast idle). Foot on brake and shift through all gears. Keep filling till fluid starts coming back out of the hole. There is a small plate just behind the hole so make sure your filling tube gets by it or you will get very wet

Default A great set of instructions...

Thanks to Bruno and www.bmwe34.net, I see there is a nice descripition of how to change out the center bearing and the Guibo (Flex Disc). If anyone needs it, here is the link.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte...terBearing.htm

Quote Originally Posted by artguy
    QUESTION: Regarding the tranny fill, how much fluid will I need to do a refill?

When I drained it I got about 2-3 quarts out. The manual says it takes 3 1/2 quarts so I bought 4. But I found a ZF 5HP18 spare parts catalog in PDF form on-line and it said the tranny had an oil capacity of 11.1 quarts.

When you drain the oil you cant empty the torque converter so what you get from the pan isnt everything in there. If you mean this file: http://www.zf-group.com/pdf/5HP18.pdf then it includes the full procedure for correct filling. Basically you keep filling steadily until it pours back out at you
    Oct '00 E46 330i. Feb '92 525i (departed)