GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What Differences from e34 to e39 ?

Default What Differences from e34 to e39 ?

I see some have both, and some went from e34 to e39.

I'm curious as to how different an e39 is to an e34. What impressions do you have ?

Funny you should ask. My E39 is a veritable ball of fire compared to my (sick?) E34wagon.
    The E39 is less visceral than the E34s. More steering boost, a bit quieter, feels less "German" to me. Even has rudimentary cup holders.
    Seats are definately better in the E39.
    My GF who hates our E34 touring and loves the various rent a heaps she gets on business travel absolutely loves the E39 and has claimed it for herself.
    Styling is a matter of taste of course, the E30,32 and 34 I think will be well regarded for a very long time. The E39 I find less attractive.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

i find the e39 is only really attractive in M5 guise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Funny you should ask. My E39 is a veritable ball of fire compared to my (sick?) E34wagon.
    The E39 is less visceral than the E34s. More steering boost, a bit quieter, feels less "German" to me. Even has rudimentary cup holders.
    Seats are definately better in the E39.
    My GF who hates our E34 touring and loves the various rent a heaps she gets on business travel absolutely loves the E39 and has claimed it for herself.
    Styling is a matter of taste of course, the E30,32 and 34 I think will be well regarded for a very long time. The E39 I find less attractive.
    Do you know if the front suspension (trust arm bushing and ball joints) and the rear one ( the 4 bushings ) are more reliable then on the E34 ? I know the rear suspension of the E39 is completly different than the E34 one's is there major diffrence too on the front one ?

theyre both equally as attractive IMO but the E34 has more character.

I also agree, the E39 M5 is a super buy nowdays and its an icon.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

Wondered this myself, cause eventually i would like to go to an E39 next but what would be a better buy,a 523 or a 528? I would really prefer a 528 but what do you guys reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWDriver
    I see some have both, and some went from e34 to e39.

I'm curious as to how different an e39 is to an e34. What impressions do you have ?
    As the owner of 2 E34s and an E39, firstly let me put their purchases into chronological order : the '88 525i first, then after having caught the bug badly, the '99 528iT and recently the '94 525ix.

The E39 is superior to the E34 in many ways, mostly to do with generational change and the safety that goes with that. In my opinion ATC, BAS, Window and Side air bags are quite important things. I realise there is more to go wrong but accept that as the price we pay.

The E39 goes harder, handles better, stops better and feels much more solid from a driver's perspective. Its (6 cylinder only) rack & pinion steering is wonderful - much better than the rack & pinion in my 525ix or the box in my 525i.

The other major area of improvement is in ventilation - the E 39 is streets ahead when it comes to cooling or heating.

The E39 fails miserably when it comes to cup holders - OK it has them but they are expensive plastic junk that don't work even when new.

The E39 also fails in the area of door rattles - the door locks wear prematurely and need to be replaced or have insulation tape applied to them to stop the noise.

The E39 obviously has more computers and such which can be expensive repairs.

On balance, I feel the E39 is a better car, even if not as well put together, as it gives me a feeling of greater security. It also handles, steers, stops and drives better while keeping the occupants more comfortable and more importantly, safer.

If buying an E39, buy cars made after May 1998 as window airbags were introduced then and in some markets (not US but certainly in Europe and Oz) nikasil 6 cylinder engines were replaced with alusil units. Double vanos was also intoruduced at this time.

Appearance is another issue - the E39 is growing on me, but I must admit I still prefer the simple lines of my narrow grill 525i to either the E39 or my wide grill 525ix.

Probably the ultimate E39 is the M5, but for those of us with limited budgets, the double vanos 6 cylinder cars are great, especially the 530i from 2001-2004.

An indication of my 528i Touring's attraction is that it is the car that everyone goes for first in my family - hence it is doing approximatetly 55,000 km per year. It almost never stops as everyone wants to drive it.
    Last edited by Zeuk in Oz; 08-01-2007 at 05:49 PM.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

I have been looking at the E39 for a while as a general upgrade and less miles but I find the E34 body more attractive. The E46 can be found at pretty good deals too, and I think it looks great. A friend was selling a great condition sports package E46 for $7,000. I wish I would have gone for it.

Sorry, I don't.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by mamilapon
    Wondered this myself, cause eventually i would like to go to an E39 next but what would be a better buy,a 523 or a 528? I would really prefer a 528 but what do you guys reckon?
    528. More go for not much more money.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia